Jump to content
RockyProndoa

APEX DOS Automatic Water Change

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, been awhile since I have posted (because Tapatalk STILL does not work on my phone!?!?)...anyways, I just received my first ICP test back from ATI, and I must say, it is well worth the 50 bucks or so. In a nutshell, my major elements are out of whack and I am running high nitrates (20ppm) with 0 phosphates...a bad combination. Because I despise water changes, and thus get myself in the pickle I am in, I am looking into setting up a DOS to do them for me! :)

Does anyone have any experience with this? The process seems simple enough, a waste container, a fresh SW container, and a DOS. I'm not sure I need the float switches? I figure I'm smart enough (hopefully) to look in my containers every week or so and note their relative fullness. What sort of fittings do I use to connect my tubing to my SW container (a 40g Brute)? I plan to just run the waste line to a floor drain (maybe 25ft away - I don't see distance being an issue here?).

Any input would be appreciated! Also, if anyone has any experience dosing phosphate let me know!

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey good to see you around!  I bought a DOS for this but I started using ATI essentials and it takes 3 pumps.  Now I need another DOS unit lol.  I don't see the distance on the drain as an issue.  You can buy a John Guest type bulkhead you can put in your container with rigid tubing going to the bottom, I think there is a link in my thread where I made some 3 gallon dosing containers, but you can get them anywhere.  How much are you planning on changing a day? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

Hey good to see you around!  I bought a DOS for this but I started using ATI essentials and it takes 3 pumps.  Now I need another DOS unit lol.  I don't see the distance on the drain as an issue.  You can buy a John Guest type bulkhead you can put in your container with rigid tubing going to the bottom, I think there is a link in my thread where I made some 3 gallon dosing containers, but you can get them anywhere.  How much are you planning on changing a day? 

Yeah, I've considered using ATI essentials, but it seems a bit 'gimmicky' at the moment - as in more branding than product, but then again I probably haven't really explored it thoroughly enough to make that statement.

As for WC's, I don't know, maybe 10% a week? (175g or so system - so 15-18g/week). That seems like a lot?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't seem like a lot to me at all.  Shouldn't be hard to set up with the wizard they have built into the software.  You should be able to configure it that way and then remove the floats if you don't what them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Float are just a fail safe. What happens if you go on vacation, have a long work week... You could have something overflow with water all over the place, or run dry and destroy the pump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RockyProndoa said:

So @MarineDepot.... Can you hook me up with a DOS? Isn't there a kickback link for the club somewhere?

Yes, Buckeye Reef is a member of our affiliate program and earns a commission on every sale that comes through an affiliate link. Here is one for the DOS. Unfortunately we cannot offer further discounts on Neptune Systems brand products as they are MAP controlled. Only when we are given explicit permission from the manufacturer are we allowed to discount anything, which maybe happens once or twice a year if we're lucky.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, I've got more questions. My plan is to plumb the DOS directly into my 40g Brute trash can which will contain fresh NSW. I'll install a 1/4" bulkhead, with rigid tubing on the inside going to the bottom and standard flexible tubing back to the DOS. I haven't quite figured out what to do with the effluent, but I'm leaning towards running a 1/2" PVC pipe over to a floor drain and connecting the DOS to that.

1. Assuming the above is correct, I suppose it would make sense to have a failsafe installed inside my NSW container to turn the DOS off when the NSW gets below a certain level (on the off chance that I forget to refill). I would assume to use a simple mechanical float-  but how would I connect this to my apex? Breakout box? Is this difficult to do?

2. How does the tubing on the DOS unit matchup with 1/4" RO tubing? Do I need adaptors?

3. Anything else that I may have missed?

I ask all of these questions because my time is somewhat limited, and the last thing I want to do is allot a block of time to set this up only to find out I am a few pieces short. Any info would be appreciated!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a link where I made my own BOB, easy to do but net expensive to buy one.  You could also do an optical switch, if you have an ATK you have a spare spot to hook one up.

http://www.buckeyereef.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7990-muttley000s-apex-diy-break-out-board/

Near the bottom of the first page you will see a bulkhead and rigid tubing thats working great to draw my ATI essentials out of some containers I didn't want to leave open.

http://www.buckeyereef.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9089-ati-essentials/

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Muttley000 said:

Here's a link where I made my own BOB, easy to do but net expensive to buy one.  You could also do an optical switch, if you have an ATK you have a spare spot to hook one up.

http://www.buckeyereef.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7990-muttley000s-apex-diy-break-out-board/

Near the bottom of the first page you will see a bulkhead and rigid tubing thats working great to draw my ATI essentials out of some containers I didn't want to leave open.

http://www.buckeyereef.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9089-ati-essentials/

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

 

 

Thank you for the reply. I'm just going to go ahead and buy the actual Apex one - for the money it's the easier route for me to go. No ATK here, so i'll have to come up with some other float - though I do think I have one left over from my ATO...sounds like I could hook that directly to the BOB.

I've got the JG fittings and the rigid tubing along with the RO tubing, so I think I am pretty good to go. And yes, since I had ATI do my test, I might as well follow suit and go the ATI essentials route as well! lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, MarineDepot said:

Yes, Buckeye Reef is a member of our affiliate program and earns a commission on every sale that comes through an affiliate link. Here is one for the DOS. Unfortunately we cannot offer further discounts on Neptune Systems brand products as they are MAP controlled. Only when we are given explicit permission from the manufacturer are we allowed to discount anything, which maybe happens once or twice a year if we're lucky.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

@MarineDepot - Just made my purchase but forgot to apply my 10% off coupon before the purchase - oops! Any chance this can still be applied? If not, my mistake, I completely understand - just thought I would ask!

Order Number: #102096887

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RockyProndoa said:

@MarineDepot - Just made my purchase but forgot to apply my 10% off coupon before the purchase - oops! Any chance this can still be applied? If not, my mistake, I completely understand - just thought I would ask!

Order Number: #102096887

Not a problem. Thank you for shopping with us! I tasked this to our support team so it'll likely be issued sometime day. I believe the amount is a little less than $10 (couldn't count the DOS). I hope you had a nice holiday weekend!

Jeff @ Marine Depot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RockyProndoa said:

@MarineDepot - Just made my purchase but forgot to apply my 10% off coupon before the purchase - oops! Any chance this can still be applied? If not, my mistake, I completely understand - just thought I would ask!

Order Number: #102096887

This is now complete! Please allow your card issuer a few business days to process the refund transaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×