crimsonvice

Frag tank made from current 60 gallon tank

So I have this drilled 60 hanging around and I thought that instead of buying a frag tank I might try to make one out of the glass from this tank. It currently measures 36x18x24. I was thinking of making it 36x18x16. Dose anyone have any experience with doing something like this? It does not seem to be very hard. 

Have you ever siliconed baffles into a sump?  This would be the next natural progression of projects to me. Get a 10 gallon tank and tear it apart to practice and refine your technique. There are videos out there too. The trick is to maintain the space between panes of glass and there are some good tricks out there for that too. Once you learn to keep it neat you will be golden!

I started taking this apart yesterday. I removed the top and bottom casing, and when I removed the Plasti Dip from the back panel it had a giant crack in it! :wacko: I dont know how long it has been this way, but I never noticed it. So If I am going to see what I can do about getting another 36x16 piece of galss. 

I wouldn’t think that would cost too much at a local glass shop. Pay them to swipe the edges on a grinder so it isn’t razor sharp, my local shop only charges a couple bucks for that and it is well worth the money. 

Started working on this today. Follow DIY King tear down video on YouTube. 

Seems pretty easy...

Went to Lowe's and picked up a glass cutter, some silicone, and a fresh pack of utility blades. 

Casing came off pretty easy with a putty knife. Started removing the bottom pane, and that was a bare. Didnt think it was going to happen. I finally was able to wiggle the knife in and start cutting away. 

The back pane was already cracked so I was going to try and cut all the sides to be 12" tall. Needless to say, this did not turn out like I was expecting at all. No straight cuts, and some even were pretty jagged. Ended up salvaging one piece 30" piece at 11" instead of 12". I have three sides and a bottom. Now I need to go and find a 30x11" piece somewhere. I was hoping to have it siliconed up tonight guess it will have to wait until I get back from vacation.