BuK's dream tank

buk

It's been about 10 years or so since I've had an actual display tank. So after being surrounded by inspiration and the best products around at MACNA this year I decided it was time. I'm not one to do anything half way that I have to look at everyday so a standard tank and sub par equipment is out of the question. It took some time to plan and figure out exactly what direction to go in bit I finally narrowed it down. 

It's going to be a primarily higher end sps tank with possibly a paly or two and/or a few lps in the shade. 

Below is the first pic of my dream tank in the making. Bashsea skimmer and collector, bio reactor, sump, and ato reservoir, Apex with feeder to control it all, 2x radion xr30 pro, and 48"aquatic life t5 hybrid fixture. Not pictured is a pile of Portland cement rock, 100 gallon starfire Crystal Dynamics tank (shipped today), and powder coated tube steele stand (in construction).

I've still yet to decide what return pump and powerheads to use so I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have. 

20181108_174008.jpg

7 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

Oh man I am psyched! This looks fantastic. I need another stick head to trade frags with! 

Dosing plans? 

Oh I forgot to add that I also have a geo calcium reactor. I'm planning to start there and adjust as needed but will most likely end up dosing mag and possibly alk. I've always been a stick head but never got into trace elements. Any recommendations? 

34 minutes ago, buk said:

Oh I forgot to add that I also have a geo calcium reactor. I'm planning to start there and adjust as needed but will most likely end up dosing mag and possibly alk. I've always been a stick head but never got into trace elements. Any recommendations? 

Not specifically. I have been using ESV and they claim to replace trace elements as well. I have sent off ATI tests, and don't seem to be lacking in any areas. I have been dosing Aquavitros Fuel 1-2 times a week, which kinda hits those as well. 

I've been tossing around the idea of a calcium reactor, but I am not keen on the idea of $500-1k to start it up. Lol Just looking at cost, it doesn't make sense for me to switch quite yet. 

What's the ETA on your tank?

It just left California yesterday so I'm hoping it will be in Maumee early next week. 

I'm doing b ionic in my tanks in the basement but I have to buy it by the 5 gallon buckets. That's why I'm wanting to try the calcium reactor but I'm sure there will be a learning curve

Well it made it into the house and is patiently waiting for the stand to get done. 

@Muttley000 I love this tank. It's the same size and options that was featured at MACNA this year. Many of the vendors also used them there. I think I spent a good 2 hours staring at them and every little detail I could find and could find a reason not to go with crystal dynamics over Marineland or other mass produced tanks. Everything is very precise and clean

20181116_183655.jpg

7 hours ago, crimsonvice said:

Looks fantastic! 

Eta on stand? 

It's been an extremely slow process. Everything on my end has gone pretty smoothly but the welder has been holding up a lot of the process and it's been so long since I've welded that I don't fully trust my capabilities anymore. But it's looking like all the pieces will become one the week after thanksgiving. Then probably a few days for powder coating.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

As I was outside digging a hole in the rain I was thinking you were probably having more fun than I was today.  Looks like I was right.  Can't wait to see that shining on rocks and coral, I'm pretty sure you will be super pleased!  Did you plug in a controller to them?

Most of my day was spent in the shop trying to get ahead of the que at work. Then working on the tanks in the basement. I haven't done anything with them yet. Just mounted to the hybrid fixture and plugged them in until I realized i could just about see my blood flowing through my skin lol. I use the EcoSmart live app on my RX30W's in the basement. I haven't seen a need for anything more with them.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, crimsonvice said:

Awesome! The stand looks great! Are you doing a canopy or is it a bar for lighting?

Just the light rack in the pick. I'm trying to keep it looking somewhat clean and minimalist. Well as much as I can.

55 minutes ago, Jesse said:

holycow! I can't believe I had no idea about this build. You could probably charge people to come see it.

No need. I'm a not for profit. Anyone can come see it free of charge

6 hours ago, music said:

Is the slot in the back the overflow?  As in a box will not be present inside this tank?

Sorry I haven't been on here much. I've been spending most of my free time getting various things ready for the tank. Like painting the plywood that the tank will sit on, painting the light rack, running electric and aquabus cables to my basement.

The slot you are seeing is actually the overflow. It's a bad pic but there is actually a Synergy Reef Shadow overflow. It just really blends in well with the black background.

I was supposed to be picking up the stand yesterday but I haven't received a call from the powder coater yet and my friends truck that was going to pick it up blew the blower motor so there isn't any heat in it atm. So hopefully by this weekend I can start assembling and plumbing the system.

5 hours ago, buk said:

Sorry I haven't been on here much. I've been spending most of my free time getting various things ready for the tank. Like painting the plywood that the tank will sit on, painting the light rack, running electric and aquabus cables to my basement.

The slot you are seeing is actually the overflow. It's a bad pic but there is actually a Synergy Reef Shadow overflow. It just really blends in well with the black background.

I was supposed to be picking up the stand yesterday but I haven't received a call from the powder coater yet and my friends truck that was going to pick it up blew the blower motor so there isn't any heat in it atm. So hopefully by this weekend I can start assembling and plumbing the system.

Bummer there always seems to be hiccups along the way. Can't wait to see the progress!