Potential Move

Flounder

With my wife finishing her doctorate (finally) she has been offered a job in Southwest Ohio and I am a remote employee. We are considering a move in fall of 2020, we both really like living in Columbus and want to make certain this is a job she will keep before moving.

So I have some time to prep. What would you do for a tank to ensure a healthy move 2 years, 1 year, 6 months out? Am I crazy for thinking 2 years out, probably. Thinking that I might hold off on those $10k corals for the moment.

18 hours ago, crimsonvice said:

Start planning a bigger tank. This is your prep time! 

All I am saying is if I move for my spouses job, I should get a fish ROOM! This will certainly be part of the negotiations and requirements for the new house. Thinking this will have to be a multi-tank system to ease the pain of uprooting my life. insert evil laugh here.

2 hours ago, Flounder said:

All I am saying is if I move for my spouses job, I should get a fish ROOM! This will certainly be part of the negotiations and requirements for the new house. Thinking this will have to be a multi-tank system to ease the pain of uprooting my life. insert evil laugh here.

For sure, but first rule of negotiating is to start asking for considerably more than you will settle for!

I am going to need an office and thinking we would need a place I could finish the basement. Part office, part recreation room, part sump/fish room with dividing wall between office and rec room being a tank. Another nano in the office and obviously a tank in main living area. I think I have a goal of getting over 1,000 gallons

1k is my goal too!  This sounds very doable and not a hard scenario in your house hunt. I’ve lived in the same house for 30 years and don’t expect to leave until the undertaker shows up to take me so the thought of moving seems both scary and exciting!  I look forward to watching whatever you come up with. 

I would not have drilled the returns to the tanks, because the transient flow at pump off is higher, so I would have paid more attention to that for sure and gone over the top.  I have an extremely large sump, and that is a beautiful thing if you want a minimum scape, I can stick a few hundred pounds in the sump and clear the tanks out if I want.  Having the basement I do and not having to worry about it impressing anyone it was cool to just throw a 100 gallon Rubbermaid in for a cryptic fuge, I will probably do one of the shallow tubs for a remote sand bed at some point.  I guess what I'm trying to convey is the space you are considering will unlock a ton of options, but if you want it to be show off quality, don't skimp on planning because the space goes quick! It is amazing how slow things change, especially when trying to correct something, and I'm currently only at 500 gallons!  One drawback is tied together systems need the water quality of the most demanding of the lot.  If I add a 6' tank for a large eel/predator tank like I want, it has to be much better kept than a normal fish only because my SPS are effectively on the same tank.  If I think of more I'll add them, and as your plans develop I'm happy to critique!

How much and how often, if at all, are you water changes? Are you dosing? 

5 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

I would not have drilled the returns to the tanks, because the transient flow at pump off is higher, so I would have paid more attention to that for sure and gone over the top.  I have an extremely large sump, and that is a beautiful thing if you want a minimum scape, I can stick a few hundred pounds in the sump and clear the tanks out if I want.  Having the basement I do and not having to worry about it impressing anyone it was cool to just throw a 100 gallon Rubbermaid in for a cryptic fuge, I will probably do one of the shallow tubs for a remote sand bed at some point.  I guess what I'm trying to convey is the space you are considering will unlock a ton of options, but if you want it to be show off quality, don't skimp on planning because the space goes quick! It is amazing how slow things change, especially when trying to correct something, and I'm currently only at 500 gallons!  One drawback is tied together systems need the water quality of the most demanding of the lot.  If I add a 6' tank for a large eel/predator tank like I want, it has to be much better kept than a normal fish only because my SPS are effectively on the same tank.  If I think of more I'll add them, and as your plans develop I'm happy to critique!

I dose ATI essentials, 30 ml of each product a day right now.  I have done very little in the way of water changes since I am dosing nitrates to stay above zero.  I have very few fish relative to my water volume.  My last IPC test had me slightly low on moly, vanadium, and something else, and low on iodine.  It had been almost 6 months without a water change at that point. I still have over 3 boxes of salt left from the expo!