Maybe I Should Invest in a Generator

crimsonvice

2 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

How many amps do you need to run times 120 volts and safety factor of times two. I don’t know what sizes portables come in commonly but I would guess around 3000 Watts would be sufficient. For the whole system plus some

I ended up picking one up a 3600w. I didn't realize how expensive they are/can be. I had wanted to get 6500+, but they were coming in close to $1k. EEEK... It's up and running now, everything seems to be okay with 11 hours of being off. Hopefully, I won't be using it much. 

20 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

I ended up picking one up a 3600w. I didn't realize how expensive they are/can be. I had wanted to get 6500+, but they were coming in close to $1k. EEEK... It's up and running now, everything seems to be okay with 11 hours of being off. Hopefully, I won't be using it much. 

Glad you got taken care of, and its still cheaper than all your sticks dying!  Once you get one the power never goes out again though or so I am told lol

I wish I could have, it just wasnt an expense that I was planning on. I will evaluate everything after this, and make adjustments where needed. Lines are still draped across the driveway and the energy company says that they should be by before midnight tonight to move the wires, not fix the broken ground. Looks to me like the giant limb at the end of the drive dropped on the wire and snapped the ground wire. Pushing 220v to all of our electronics in the house. We didnt realize what was going on at first, and my wife kept flipping the breakers back on, as we continued to fry everything in the house....oops. Just for giggles I flipped it on again this morning to see if the big appliances were toast or not, and sure enough washer, dryer, fridge, deep freezer all seem to be busted. Another awesome thing about living in the woods is not having city water. I think I water pump is busted as well.

I called our insurance company and an adjuster will be contacting me soon. Looks like insurance might help with my fish room upgrade! Until then living at the in-laws. I dont know whats worse. lol

2 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

Any updates Brandon?  How is the system holding up?

Power is back. All livestock is alive and well. I thought, the trigger was dead when I first got the generator up. After about 30 minutes he started slowly moving around. He seems good now. 

Doser and ATK for sure are dead. Having LFS quote replacement price on dead and malfunctioning equipment. Insurance will cover replacement costs :D

Washer and dryer are fried. Other small items through the house we are finding periodically. 

Whole house generators are the way to go. Never need to worry about the power going out again. Plus what if you are away from home?  I was in Wyoming hunting and our power went out for 4 hours. Never missed a beat, good to go. 

By the way, we have had ours 2 yrs. and the power still goes out occasionally.  

36 minutes ago, JMM said:

Whole house generators are the way to go. Never need to worry about the power going out again. Plus what if you are away from home?  I was in Wyoming hunting and our power went out for 4 hours. Never missed a beat, good to go. 

By the way, we have had ours 2 yrs. and the power still goes out occasionally.  

I will definitely be looking into this especially when we buy/build.