Reeflink or WXM

crimsonvice

Ive been tossing around the idea of getting some Radions. While I am sold on them from the results aspect, my wallet is trying to talk me out of it. From my understanding, you can only control them wirelessly via the Reeflink, or via your Apex with the WXM module. Is this correct? Does the WXM have the same features as the Reeflink. In particular, I like the idea of having an "Acclimation Mode" or profile that would allow new additions to gradually become use to the light intensity. 

@Muttley000 How do you like yours??? Is it a G4 or a G4 Pro? Is it worth the additional cost for the Pro? Keeping an eye out for a deal, and the answers to these questions may be my deciding factor. 

Im doing my index finger work outs for these upcoming deals. 

I have a pair of G4 pros and run them on the WXM on my 90. I sold the reef link and never tried it to be honest. I do believe that is the only two ways to talk to them. I only have a profile for time of day using the AB+ program. If there is a way to do acclimation I haven’t figured it out and I know it is a canned thing with the reeflink. I never have even seen the non pro version to compare. I love the lights themselves. Now that the wife has ID’d a spot for a big tank in the house remodel I am looking for someone willing to buy a kidney for the tank and 12 light fixtures I want for that build lol

43 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

I have a pair of G4 pros and run them on the WXM on my 90. I sold the reef link and never tried it to be honest. I do believe that is the only two ways to talk to them. I only have a profile for time of day using the AB+ program. If there is a way to do acclimation I haven’t figured it out and I know it is a canned thing with the reeflink. I never have even seen the non pro version to compare. I love the lights themselves. Now that the wife has ID’d a spot for a big tank in the house remodel I am looking for someone willing to buy a kidney for the tank and 12 light fixtures I want for that build lol

I hear testicles are going for a healthy price these days too. Just saying...

23 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

@Robert @ MD Are you using Hydras and the AL Hybrid on the 525 XL? If so what do you think of them?

Yes, we are currently running the 48" Aquatic Life Hybrid and x4 of the Hydra 26 HD fixtures over the Red Sea Aquarium.  I really like the hybrid but be sure the acclimate it into your existing light schedule slowly. The addition of x4 T5 lamps is a substantial increase and you need to adjust accordingly if installing over an existing tank. The even spread over the tank is great and colors are certainly more intense in terms of viewing.  I am using the ATI lamps; Blue Plus, AquaBlue Special and a single True Actinic.

34 minutes ago, Robert @ MD said:

Yes, we are currently running the 48" Aquatic Life Hybrid and x4 of the Hydra 26 HD fixtures over the Red Sea Aquarium.  I really like the hybrid but be sure the acclimate it into your existing light schedule slowly. The addition of x4 T5 lamps is a substantial increase and you need to adjust accordingly if installing over an existing tank. The even spread over the tank is great and colors are certainly more intense in terms of viewing.  I am using the ATI lamps; Blue Plus, AquaBlue Special and a single True Actinic.

Ok I have the 48" Hybrid with 2 Ocean Revive lights now. 

What do you think of the Hydras vs Radions? 

I have a pair of G4s right now and use EcoSmart Live to program and control them. I believe you do have to have them wired to your device to link but you can make whatever changes you would like then just plug in and hit the "program lights" button or whatever they call it and you are done. There is a pretty handy acclimation function on it as well. It's a free app through Ecotech.

6 minutes ago, cptnspanky said:

@crimsonvice if you decide to part with the ocean revives let me know, ive got 4 out of the 6 lights on my 300 as those and the other 2 are china boxes so i wouldnt mind matching them all up

I will keep ya posted. I am not sure if I will or not yet. I am always looking for ways to improve growth. Not sure if changing leds will benefit or end up being more of a headache. Ocean Revives are simple and reliable. 

@crimsonvice did you ever pull the trigger? Just noticed this thread directly below mine, didn't realize were in the same boat! Obviously I missed the Black Friday sales, so I'm probably going to wait for the G5s and a price drop on the G4s.

@Muttley000 Considering these have their own programming app, what is the advantage/disadvantage of running them through the Apex (as I originally wanted to do)? Does it make programming the lights any easier/harder?

1 hour ago, RockyProndoa said:

@crimsonvice did you ever pull the trigger? Just noticed this thread directly below mine, didn't realize were in the same boat! Obviously I missed the Black Friday sales, so I'm probably going to wait for the G5s and a price drop on the G4s.

@Muttley000 Considering these have their own programming app, what is the advantage/disadvantage of running them through the Apex (as I originally wanted to do)? Does it make programming the lights any easier/harder?

Ecotech BF sale is still going on.

3 hours ago, RockyProndoa said:

I never used the app or Reeflink. Ecotech has trended towards limiting what apex can do with its newer pumps, so I would expect the new radions when they come out to not have more features unlocked, and possibly not be compatible at all.  From the limited info I have come across it sounded like Neptune was willing but ecotech was not.  For instance I know with a Reeflink you can acclimate and the controller will do all the work, this would be much harder with the apex.  Also if you want AB+ which many people run you have to manually set each color channel instead of just selecting it.  Ecotech wants to push their controller and I get it, also this may be why you hear a lot of chatter about Neptune developing a led fixture. Of course if they do it will probably 2025 before it actually comes out and would cost $10k lol

17 hours ago, RockyProndoa said:

I have not. I am in the planning phase more than anything. I keep thinking of going with Radion, just because almost every stick head seems to love them, and get fantastic growth. I run Ocean Revives and t5 hybrid, and seem to do okay. I guess I am always chasing the golden goose. Who knows, I may switch and end up with more of a headache than anything. :wacko:

1 hour ago, crimsonvice said:

I have not. I am in the planning phase more than anything. I keep thinking of going with Radion, just because almost every stick head seems to love them, and get fantastic growth. I run Ocean Revives and t5 hybrid, and seem to do okay. I guess I am always chasing the golden goose. Who knows, I may switch and end up with more of a headache than anything. :wacko:

I hear ya. I've been doing terribly with my ReefBreeders, but clearly the problem is me as there are numerous accounts of great success with them. So... I'm going to avoid the problem (me) and buy a bigger band-aid lol.