APrince62

75 G tank and stand and lights

reef octopus 100 skimmer ordered

2 power heads....not ordered yet

2 heaters

digital thermometer

sand as substrate

live rock was suggested by local lfs...ocean reef

will be ordering ro/di later this week......suggestions?

suggestions for test kits? Gonna get ammonia alert badges and refractometer

QT tank....10-20 gallon tank

HOB filter I had on FW tank

heater from FW tank

power head

Proposed stocking list in order that I’d like to get 2 or 3 at a time in QT

raccoon butterfly 

ocelaris clown

yellow watchman goby

4 green chromis

lawnmower bleny

3 banner cardinal

2 royal gramma(was suggested I only do 1)

dwarf angel (either a flame or coral beauty)

CUC( do they need QT and if they do can it be with fish?

t hermit crabs

emerald crab

4 turbo snails

cleaner shrimp

2 feather dusters

2 sea urchins

Sooooo that’s my plan....and yes I know I will be close to a year getting there.....is this an ok mix for my size tank? Any other suggestion?

There are a ton of good RODI units. Are you on Cory water and if so is there chloramine in your water? I suggest you look at @MarineDepot because with those answers they will fix you up, have very competitive prices, and when you use the club link we get a kickback to buy tools and corals for the club!  I like Red Sea, Salifert, and Nyos test kits along with my Hanna checkers. Also I would not expect 1 powerhead will give you what you want for flow in a tank that size.  I see you are planning on a HOB filter instead of a sump, do you plan to add corals down the road?  If so there are other ways I suggest you at least explore.  There is more than one way to win at this hobby, but some equipment can make life easier, and in the long run cheaper, on a system this size.

On your stock list I suggest you read on the raccoon butterfly, not an easy fish for a new salty aquarist. You have been given good advice on only getting 1 gramma IMO. On the clean up crew you could add to display first and not add fish for a month which will in effect take care of the pathogens you potentially could pass on to your fish, but QTing them is fine too. Flames and coral beauty are awesome fish, but if you think you will want corals down the road you may want to read on what troubles people sometimes have with them.  With the yellow watchman I would think about a pistol shrimp to go with it. That is a relationship that is super fun to watch!

Sorry for confusion.....the 1 powerhead and hob filter are both for quarantine tank....for DT I’m gonna get 2 powerheads and run a skimmer....I don’t plan on a sump.....maybe for next tank

what is Cory water?..is that supposed to be city water...if so yes

i hadn’t planned on corals but the more I see pics of all the beautiful tanks...I’m thinking I may change mind.

As for the butterfly....somehow or somewhere I read they were easy keepers and mild tempered.....darn I was excited for that fish

7 minutes ago, APrince62 said:

Sorry for confusion.....the 1 powerhead and hob filter are both for quarantine tank....for DT I’m gonna get 2 powerheads and run a skimmer....I don’t plan on a sump.....maybe for next tank

what is Cory water?..is that supposed to be city water...if so yes

i hadn’t planned on corals but the more I see pics of all the beautiful tanks...I’m thinking I may change mind.

As for the butterfly....somehow or somewhere I read they were easy keepers and mild tempered.....darn I was excited for that fish

i will agree with @Muttley000 on the butterfly. However, if you get them to eat they are generally pretty hardy, but will need a bigger tank than a 75g. They are not safe with inverts and may consume some corals. As for the angels, the most reef safe IME is the cherub angel, and track record for flames and corals beauties are about the same. Also, yes only do 1 royal gramma. I would go with aragonite sand as a substrate. you don't necessarily need to do liverock and actually, most experienced hobbyists would advise against it. I dont like the opportunity of getting pests. There is live rock that is cultured and started out as dry rock, that would be your best bet if you are wanting to cycle faster