75 G converted from FW to SW

APrince62

I know a lot of you have or have had FW tanks so im gonna start with pics of the FW 75 G cichlid tank...im not stocked too heavy before my transfer as Sharkie..in pic 4....is very unhappy in his crowded quarters and is whole reason to upgrade to 125 FW tank.....his buddies are a bumblebee, a jewel, a misc peacock, a shy convict and a venistus...along with a pretty good sized pleco hiding behind filter tube

bumblebee.jpg

jewel.jpg

misc  peacock.jpg

sharkie.jpg

shy convict.jpg

venistus.jpg

my plans for SW is....(adding 2-3 at a time after QT)

2 ocellaris clowns...I would like to do an orange  and  a black and white....we shall see what I can get

yellow watchman gobe

4 green chromis

lawnmower bleny

3 Banner cardinals

royal gramma

had a raccoon butterfly  and a dwarf angel on list but got convinced these were bad choices

for clean up crew

5 hermit crabs

emerald crab

4 turbo snails

a cleaner shrimp

2 feather dusters

2 sea urchins.

had originally thought no corals...….buttt….. more I watch videos  I may want to add a couple duncans, star polyps or xenias  ….but  will see how tank goes  first

7 minutes ago, APrince62 said:

my plans for SW is....(adding 2-3 at a time after QT)

2 ocellaris clowns...I would like to do an orange  and  a black and white....we shall see what I can get

yellow watchman gobe

4 green chromis

lawnmower bleny

3 Banner cardinals

royal gramma

had a raccoon butterfly  and a dwarf angel on list but got convinced these were bad choices

for clean up crew

5 hermit crabs

emerald crab

4 turbo snails

a cleaner shrimp

2 feather dusters

2 sea urchins.

had originally thought no corals...….buttt….. more I watch videos  I may want to add a couple duncans, star polyps or xenias  ….but  will see how tank goes  first

i wouldnt necessarily give up on the dwarf angel. cherub angels are cool and are the most reef safe of all the dwarfs. flame angels are like 80-20

For what it is worth, I had a coral beauty (RIP) and currently have a Potters Angle, and both were/are model citizens. No coral picking at all. I feed them often and well, and everyone has behaved themselves. This doesnt mean that one day they wont change their mind, though. 

GSP, xenias, and duncans are pretty easy to come by and are nice choices for first coral. Just keep in mind, these are your gateway drugs. lol. 

Sooooo.....125G FW tank is up and running with fish in it...YAYYY....so now onto getting supplies for my 75 G SW tank set up. So was looking over Marine Depot web site and ready to place an order very soon.....will include the following...

Carib sea Arag alive Fiji pink sand...not sure how much to order

Carib sea life rock 20 lbs

life rock shapes 20 lbs

red sea coral pro salt mix....since instant ocean seems to be out

digital 2 in 1 water tester

RO/DI system when back in stock

Anything I should do different? I will be doing a future order for protein skimmer, lights,powerheads and anything else I determine I need.

Edited by APrince62

4 minutes ago, APrince62 said:

Sooooo.....125G FW tank is up and running with fish in it...YAYYY....so now onto getting supplies for my 75 G SW tank set up. So was looking over Marine Depot web site and ready to place an order very soon.....will include the following...

Carib sea Arag alive Fiji pink sand...not sure how much to order

Carib sea life rock 20 lbs

life rock shapes 20 lbs

red sea coral pro salt mix....since instant ocean seems to be out

digital 2 in 1 water tester

RO/DI system when back in stock

Anything I should do different? I will be doing a future order for protein skimmer, lights,powerheads and anything else I determine I need.

40lbs of rock in a 75 might be enough. i really like the marine pure balls. supposedly one little sphere is equivalent to a 2g bucket of bio balls! The sand is up to you, i would go eithier 1inch or less or more thatn 4 inches. anywhere in between tends to be a problematic

10 minutes ago, APrince62 said:

So should I go  another 20 lbs of rock?(delivery guys gonna love me lol) 

and what are the pure balls for? Are they a filter item?

thinking along the lines of 1 inch sand.....any idea how much sand for that?

I would go with somewhere around 40-50lbs of sand assuming it is a standard 75g tank...should give you about 3/4 of inch to an inch of sand bed. And for rock it's up to you. If you want an open aquascape 40lbs will be plenty but you would need to use some type of biological filtration like the marine pure balls or more rock in the sump

Edited by euphylin me

Here is a handy sand bed calculator

https://www.marinedepot.com/md_educationcenter_calculators_sand_bed_calculator.html

I agree there is a no mans land in depth. I’ve always considered it between 2 and 4 inches. I would say use as much rock as what looks good to you in the display. You can’t have too much biologically but don’t make it crammed for your fish. 

1 minute ago, Muttley000 said:

Here is a handy sand bed calculator

https://www.marinedepot.com/md_educationcenter_calculators_sand_bed_calculator.html

I agree there is a no mans land in depth. I’ve always considered it between 2 and 4 inches. I would say use as much rock as what looks good to you in the display. You can’t have too much biologically but don’t make it crammed for your fish. 

great find on the sand calculator! i had no idea one existed!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok finally some progress......got my sponge filter in mail so filled my 10G QT and started it quick cycling with dr Tim’s .....so in a week or so I hope to have my first fish in quarantine.....thinking strongly of getting a 2nd QT tank going so I can start CUC also. Do they need to be in QT as long?6 weeks? Really doesn’t matter cause is prob gonna take me that long to get DT up and cycled

• 3 weeks later...

Its aquascape time!!!!!!!!!!!! Sooooo  I don't follow the rules of landscaping...im more to the everything is equal layout :)

Does this look like it would work...I know I have to move the front right corner back a bit to be off glass but will the arches work ok?

• 4 weeks later...

First fish are in....got 3 damsels ....they survived Quarantine so now to see if they survive the display tank. I know ....not recommended to get multiple damsels as first fish.....but seeing as they were test subjects and not sure to survive....I went cheap....$5 apiece at pet co.....very pretty though....a black and white striped, a bright blue and a domino...lol only one I know name of. Now to go get some others that are truely on my stock list for QT.....either cardinal banners, royal gramma or Blenny of some sort....Plus CUC.....thinking 2 hermit crabs,4 snails and maybe a cleaneR shrimp.