Ai Prime

Joe

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 4:42 PM, Joe said:

Found this on a Facebook group. Anyone using(ed) anything similar? 

961A5BD8-D3FA-47C3-A20A-722791569C1F.png

Looks like one I tried early on. My cuc wasn’t ready to keep up with that much whites. I forget the name, saxbys maybe. I plan to try AB+ and a “Jamaican” variant when I’m finally home again. 

Hows the light working out for you so far though ?

EDIT: this looks to be the “Jamaican” one I mentioned I wanted to try. Let me know how it does!

Edited by NoWaiAma

3 hours ago, NoWaiAma said:

Hows the light working out for you so far though ?

So far so good. I would like to see more white, but I can live with it. Also I didn’t get the glow I did with me Ai Sols I had back in the day. 

3 hours ago, NoWaiAma said:

this looks to be the “Jamaican” one I mentioned I wanted to try. Let me know how it does!

Yes it is the Kendal Brown II Jamaican mix or something like that. 

I have an AI prime and 2 Hydra 52's and here is my take. The most popular programs I've seen are Saxby, Pirates of the Caribbean, Rum Runner, and BRS AB+ and if you become a member of the AI user group on FB you can find hundreds more. You will have sucess with any of them if you adjust the overall intensity to get the correct PAR level needed for your tank.  I ran the saxby schedule for a long time then started to modify it to my liking. I lowered the whites and raised the blues and uv. Saxby and many other schedule use respiration spikes which I always included in modified program. I recently started adding more SPS and wanted to get more PAR. I took my modified saxby, which became something closer to BRS AB+ program, and cranked all the blues, violet and UV to 100% and at the peak of the ramp I'm at 100% overall intensity and removed all the respiration spikes. I was concerned some of my soft coral would suffer but so far everyone is happy. I've been using AI's for a couple years and it's taken me a long time to get comfortable with adjusting the individual spectrum levels but I would suggest picking a program that is visually appealing to the eye and go with it. Get the PAR right and have fun! If you want help getting it set up let me know I'd be happy to help. 

28 minutes ago, zachegg said:

I have an AI prime and 2 Hydra 52's and here is my take. The most popular programs I've seen are Saxby, Pirates of the Caribbean, Rum Runner, and BRS AB+ and if you become a member of the AI user group on FB you can find hundreds more. You will have sucess with any of them if you adjust the overall intensity to get the correct PAR level needed for your tank.  I ran the saxby schedule for a long time then started to modify it to my liking. I lowered the whites and raised the blues and uv. Saxby and many other schedule use respiration spikes which I always included in modified program. I recently started adding more SPS and wanted to get more PAR. I took my modified saxby, which became something closer to BRS AB+ program, and cranked all the blues, violet and UV to 100% and at the peak of the ramp I'm at 100% overall intensity and removed all the respiration spikes. I was concerned some of my soft coral would suffer but so far everyone is happy. I've been using AI's for a couple years and it's taken me a long time to get comfortable with adjusting the individual spectrum levels but I would suggest picking a program that is visually appealing to the eye and go with it. Get the PAR right and have fun! If you want help getting it set up let me know I'd be happy to help. 

Have you had any issues with the hydras? I hear mixed reviews. 

24 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

Have you had any issues with the hydras? I hear mixed reviews. 

I have not although I have non HD Hydra's and I control mine with the AWM module through Apex. My prime is an HD and I use the app to control it and have not had any issues with it either. I have read about the problems. I've see three things, first abuse, second connectivity issues which is usually a user hardware issue with their wireless network, and third being a truly faulty product. I think alot of the faulty product problem comes from AI over driving channels in the HD models and that is just my opinion. I don't overdrive my prime and it has been very reliable going on 18 months and it was used 6 months before i bought it used. I bought my prime used for a nano tank I started with then bought a complete set up from a member on this board that included the Hydra's. I cannot be happier with the performance of the lights I have and if they died tomorrow I would probably buy AI again.  

tank_front.jpg

Tank looks fantastic! I have the Prime on the Biocube and love it. I have heard mixed reviews, but not from anyone I have known personally. So I have been somewhat sceptical, even with the Prime. Its been working perfect though, and have had no issues. 

I can see where over driving channels could cause decreased longevity or hardware malfunctions over time. 

• 3 weeks later...