euphylin me

Let's talk about the mysterious fish deaths

In your opinion or experience, why do you think that potter's,flame, multi-bar, blue spotted jawfish, and other fish are notorious for dying "randomly" in spite of seeming healthy? I have a few ideas but I'm wondering what you guys/gals have to say about the topic!

Beats me. I had a maculiceps tang keel over on me one day. He had been eating well, and appeared to be fat and healthy. Not sure exactly what happened. Since I have a potters swimming around, I would be interested to see what you are thinking. 

I have a potter's that is 13 years old.  but stupid yellow tang died last week, ate wonderfully the night before then in morning had no eyes or face.  What a good clean up crew I have!!!

3 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

Beats me. I had a maculiceps tang keel over on me one day. He had been eating well, and appeared to be fat and healthy. Not sure exactly what happened. Since I have a potters swimming around, I would be interested to see what you are thinking. 

We have a potters in one of the display tanks at the store, gorgeous fish! My understanding has a 3 prong approach. I know that these angels need sponges and sponges are mainly found in dimly lit areas. Potter's are sensitive to high lighting. Another thing is that when potters are young, they are found is shallower water where the water is around 78 degrees. As they mature, they are found at depths of 150' where the water is much cooler. I think that the long term exposure to higher lighting, higher water temps, and lack of nutrition ultimately kills them. I have heard the same for the bluespotted jawfish as well as many other Hawaiian fish where the water is cooler than the temp we keep our tanks

3 minutes ago, jeff70 said:

I have a potter's that is 13 years old.  but stupid yellow tang died last week, ate wonderfully the night before then in morning had no eyes or face.  What a good clean up crew I have!!!

sorry to hear about the tang :( that is a pretty old potters angel!

1 minute ago, Muttley000 said:

Blue spot jaws are collected in cooler waters. They shouldn’t be offered as Reef fish like Catalina gobies IMO

interesting theory on the potter’s, makes a lot of sense!

agreed! at least they shouldnt be marketed as reef fish! I think it is perfectly fine if the hobbyist wants to keep a cooler tank to care for them but they dont belong in a normal reef tank

10 minutes ago, euphylin me said:

agreed! at least they shouldnt be marketed as reef fish! I think it is perfectly fine if the hobbyist wants to keep a cooler tank to care for them but they dont belong in a normal reef tank

Labeling them would be awesome because we know most people don’t research first!