Responsible Reef Aquaculture-Info and Ideas

Hello all! My name is Dustin Graham, Owner of Responsible Reef Aquaculture located in Hamilton, Ohio. I had someone say I should start a thread about what we do. First a little bit about me: I am a high school sophomore studying business who started this business as a result of seeing how bad the ocean's reefs are deteriorating. It's a project that I hope to continue on with though college. Our specialty is in a blend of phytoplankton that was improved upon based on many major chains. I've since gotten one customer in Mount Healthy, Aquatics and Exotics. I've had a fair share of challenge getting customers but I am hoping that attending some frag swaps and shows will help get my name out there. My business plan is based on this: Sell a superior product cheaper than what I can order online. So, enough with the negative and on to the real reason I started my business and posting here today. I would like your ideas on things that you feel don't stand up to what they should, things that you think could be improved in our hobby. We recently started working on copepods and daphnia, experimenting with food vs. culture density and I think i'm on to something. Anything else that can come to mind would be great, as I am interested in hearing your suggestions. Please wish me luck moving forward, as these trade shows and my one lfs seem to be my only markets. I am planning to be at the 2019 Buckeye Frag Swap if I can get a table. Thanks again, Dustin

IMG_2716.jpg

Ok have a minute to type now!  You seem to be a pretty mature sophomore!  Are you doing different strains of phyto or are you selling a mixed cocktail?  Great idea on the other planktonic live foods and pods!  Can you share how you are culturing them?  Any plans to move on to other cultures like amphipods?  Live foods are a must for the breeding community so I think you have picked products that could really help people who get surprised by a hatch. I know my flow pairs seem to have some kind of esp and quit laying when I get rotifer cultures going. Any plans on shipping any of your goods?

I hope we do see you at the expo and you have some products I can buy from you. I’m sure I’m not the only Buckeye reefer that wants to see you be successful!

16 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

Ok have a minute to type now!  You seem to be a pretty mature sophomore!  Are you doing different strains of phyto or are you selling a mixed cocktail?  Great idea on the other planktonic live foods and pods!  Can you share how you are culturing them?  Any plans to move on to other cultures like amphipods?  Live foods are a must for the breeding community so I think you have picked products that could really help people who get surprised by a hatch. I know my flow pairs seem to have some kind of esp and quit laying when I get rotifer cultures going. Any plans on shipping any of your goods?

I hope we do see you at the expo and you have some products I can buy from you. I’m sure I’m not the only Buckeye reefer that wants to see you be successful!

At the current moment They are cultured together (The phyto strains) But when I gain some funding I will be doing individual strains for those who have that preference. The phyto is grown in acrylic tubes with a spout on the bottom with an open ended airline at the bottom to keep it circulating. It is under lighting a 18 hour photo period. The pods (Tisbe and Tig) carry the name "TNT" pods as I notice population "explosions" with them when I feed them the phyto blend. They are cultured together as well in 10 gallon tanks I keep going in case of crash. I will be doing both rotifers and amphipods both individually and as a part of my upcoming product "Jar'd Refugium". Shipping is in the plans, but I still need more business to be able to afford both a website and the initial cost of buying shipping supplies. I'll most likely use shipmyaquatics to get shipping prices low enough to be economical. But thank you for the support and interest, and if you think of anything else, please let me know! 

5 hours ago, DustingrahamRRA said:

Hello all! My name is Dustin Graham, Owner of Responsible Reef Aquaculture located in Hamilton, Ohio. I had someone say I should start a thread about what we do. First a little bit about me: I am a high school sophomore studying business who started this business as a result of seeing how bad the ocean's reefs are deteriorating. It's a project that I hope to continue on with though college. Our specialty is in a blend of phytoplankton that was improved upon based on many major chains. I've since gotten one customer in Mount Healthy, Aquatics and Exotics. I've had a fair share of challenge getting customers but I am hoping that attending some frag swaps and shows will help get my name out there. My business plan is based on this: Sell a superior product cheaper than what I can order online. So, enough with the negative and on to the real reason I started my business and posting here today. I would like your ideas on things that you feel don't stand up to what they should, things that you think could be improved in our hobby. We recently started working on copepods and daphnia, experimenting with food vs. culture density and I think i'm on to something. Anything else that can come to mind would be great, as I am interested in hearing your suggestions. Please wish me luck moving forward, as these trade shows and my one lfs seem to be my only markets. I am planning to be at the 2019 Buckeye Frag Swap if I can get a table. Thanks again, Dustin

IMG_2716.jpg

I am in Anderson, so not horribly far from you. I would be interested in purchasing from you. I am not a store, but shoot me your information and pricing. 

Hey! I fully support what you are doing. I co-own a saltwater/reef store here in Toledo. I would be more than interested in helping promote your product as well as buy some from you. Pm me and hopefully we can work something out (I'm relatively young as well (24)! It may be a good idea since Toledo is very close to Perrysburg and we may be able to help get your name out before the swap even starts!