My 375 Gallon Reef Tank

marinelife

15 hours ago, marinelife said:

Time for an update.

My current fish load since the crash:

1 Yellow Belly Hippo Tang (March 2008)

1 Coral Beauty (May 2007)

1 Maculiceps Tang (February 11, 2014)

1 Yellow Coris Wrasse (December 13, 2013)

2 Yellow Pyramid Butterfly (August 21, 2014)

1 Juvenile Emperor Angel (January 3, 2017)

1 Cleaner Wrasse (June 8, 2017)

1 Orange Shoulder Tang (July 31, 2017)

1 Emperor Angel (August 18, 2017)

1 Yellow Tang (September 9, 2017)

Corals:
A few SPS frags, soft corals and a massive Blue Ridge that takes over the middle of the tank.

I have seen some growth from the SPS frags in the tank so I went and purchased 4 more frags but one was coated in AEFWs. So most of it got trashed.

Current flow system:
2 Tunze Stream 6105s with the Tunze 7096 Controller on the ends of the tank point toward the surface
Return pump is a Waveline Apex Ready DC10000II water pump
1 Closed loop system with an Abyss A200 DC Pump.

1 Closed loop system with a Red Dragon 3 230w DC Pump

What is next:
I think the last fish I am going to add is a Blue Spine Unicorn Tang.

Get my SPS load high again. Planning on going to Reef Systems in a few weeks and getting some more!!

Here is a video

I love your Maculiceps Tang. How long have you had it? Any issues with your angels nipping at coral? 

I set him in my sump for about 20 minutes to match the temp. Then I opened and put him in a bucket and dripped water from the tank into the bucket for about 45 minutes. About 25 minutes in I removed half the water from the bucket. Once the salinity was the same as the tank I moved the fish to a holding box in the tank to get him to eat.

No new pictures at this time. only the video. One turned black and its circles faded. Now the circles/lines are returning. Not sure why that happened. The other is over half way changed. They get alone so far without issue. I notice the one that is changed more will leave the seaweed when the other one shows up but I do not see any fighting or chancing. I do see them at times hanging out together.

Its hard to get good pictures, the blue on them just shines. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tank updates:

Changed out the 6 Mars Aqua LEDs for 3 Aquasanrise Plus R60 from ReefBreeders. So far I like them. The color of my corals is very nice now. 

I also removed the penductors and added Random Flow Generators. this creates a random flow in the tank without anything to break.

More information about them can be found here: https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/

I also add about 13 sps corals. So far they are doing great!

7 hours ago, crimsonvice said:

Awesome videos! Do your angels ever nip at any of your coral? 

So far they have been good! But only one is about a full adult. 

Others I have had did not have issues with SPS. LPS they would eat. Not sure on softies. I have some now so time will tell with those.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Update time:

I removed the Random Flow Generators and add the penductors back, the RFGs just did not do well with my configuration.

Changed my return pump to an Abyzz A200

I added 2 5' siporax reactors

after losing most of my sps I sent my water out to be tested and found out my Nitrates was over 200 and I had a lot of Tin in my water. After several water changes, I think my Nitrates are good. My test kit was still good but I got 2 different ones to see if they match. I really do not have an LFS to have my water checked and verified at. I also am running some Seachem Cuprisorb to remove the tin. Trying to figure out what it came from.

I added some fish because a friend is moving and he needed a good home for them.

I added a 

1 Unicorn Tang 
1 False Personifer Anglefish
1 Bennett’s Butterflyfish, Chaetodon bennetti 
1 Bluespot Butterflyfish, Chaetodon plebeius 
1 Moorish idol 

I also added a Razor Tang in February, it is an awesome fish.

The Blue Spine Unicorn Tang ended up being a Vlamingi Tang, Live Aquaria ending up giving me all my money back since it was not what I ordered. Even after the 2 months, it took me to figure it out.

Is a few weeks I am going to add a few new SPS corals to see if they can survive.