Ick

Travis

So I made the foolish mistake of thinking I could add a small blue hippo tang to my tank without a Quarantine tank. Now him and my green banded goby are showing signs of ick. I'm at a loss for what to do, I do not have room for a quarantine tank. Both fish are eating great, I'm supplementing the food with garlic, but I'm not sure what else can be done. I also have vitality coming for the fish.

12 minutes ago, Travis8896 said:

So I made the foolish mistake of thinking I could add a small blue hippo tang to my tank without a Quarantine tank. Now him and my green banded goby are showing signs of ick. I'm at a loss for what to do, I do not have room for a quarantine tank. Both fish are eating great, I'm supplementing the food with garlic, but I'm not sure what else can be done. I also have vitality coming for the fish.

is this in a reef tank? do you have any inverts? if its a fish only, i would use cupramine

4 minutes ago, Travis8896 said:

It's a 32g biocube, and not really any room nor do I have extra parts for another tank.

i dont mean any offense but a 32 gallon is wayy to small for a hippo tang, especially a cube. likely why he got ich in the first place. i would keep feeding garlic and maybe pick up some selcon. i hope he makes i through but if both of the fish dont make it, you will have to go fallow for 6-8 weeks

One thing that is definitely going to help the hippo tang and the goby is that I caught my purple dottyback. It was picking on them, this is where most of the stress came from I believe because the yellow clown goby shows no signs of ick and he was the only one not being picked on.

I would look into Seachems Metroplex and Focus. I have used it to medicate my reef and it seems to work well. The idea is that you mix it with the fish food and medicate them from the inside out, and not dose the whole tank. Would it be better to QT? For sure, but in events like this it definitely is an option that works. 

59 minutes ago, Flounder said:

Can you take the fish back? Any stores that will take a sick fish? The blue hippo has a recommended minimum tank size of 180 gallons.

I mean he is eating fine and appears to be doing better each day now that the stress is reduced, and 180 is for a grown tang he is only about an inch I will have a bigger tank before he is bigger.

1 minute ago, Travis8896 said:

I mean he is eating fine and appears to be doing better each day now that the stress is reduced, and 180 is for a grown tang he is only about an inch I will have a bigger tank before he is bigger.

great that he is doing better! just know, i would plan a bigger tank in less than a year. He will probably need at least a 75reg in that time. its not necessarily about the water volume as it is the length of the tank. you could get a 300g tank, but if it is a cube, it likely wont be good enough.

1 hour ago, Travis8896 said:

Ick is like that. It seems like it’s going away but the second stage is likely coming if you didn’t do anything to treat it. If I were in your spot I would be treating those fish with copper, even if it meant I had to have a Rubbermaid sitting in my bathtub to do it. 

2 hours ago, Flounder said:

Can you take the fish back? Any stores that will take a sick fish? The blue hippo has a recommended minimum tank size of 180 gallons.

This would be a great option but unfortunately not likely. I’m not saying we should have the name of the store that sold it put out in public for crucifixion, but the fact they bagged it and sold it to you tells they didn’t care about your success enough to ask where you were putting it nor did they care about the well being of the fish. In my opinion people like this have no place selling fish or any other kinds of pets. Again just my opinion. 

• 3 weeks later...

Things are going well, I think the second stage of the ick gas hit and passed. The blue tang and green banded goby both still show some signs of it, however they are both still eating very well and I am doing their food. I think they might make a recovery. I'm just not sure if they can fully fight it off without a quarantine tank.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

I really need to get a QT setup myself. 

I didn't know you weren't using one.  I'd be scared to death not to!

4 hours ago, Travis8896 said:

Just a quick update while I have some spare time at work.

The blue hippo tang has went 5 days now without showing signs of ick.

The green banded goby still has a few spots but is looking good.

The yellow clown goby only ever had one white spot for one day, so I think it may have been sand on him.

Glad it's working out for you!