Blue Glow

Jesse

Would like to get everyones thoughts on this.

I would like to pick a time at the expo where we shut the lights off for 5,10, or 15 minutes. This would leave nothing but the blue lights on from all the vendor frag tanks. I think this would not only look cool, but could help vendors with sales.

- Do you like this idea? Why or Why not?
- How long should we leave the lights off if so?
- We run the risk of someone doing something stupid with the lights off.
- What time do we do it?
- What do we name this tradition?

Jesse, I love the idea.  It will look cool, and timing depends.  Maybe the vendors would do a blue light special, near the end of the show may help them move some extra stock?  Maybe I'm the only one old enough to remember those lol.  Could someone do something stupid, yes, but they could with the lights on also.  Not coming up with a name but I like the idea!  

I like the idea as well. A few minutes of silence is a good idea. It may be hard to keep everyone quite for and extended period of time, but it silence was shorter I think that could be a neat idea. 

Is Kmart even around anymore? Blue light special seems like a good idea, and could even be a cool thing if vendors are down. 

I would say timing is important. Maybe in the middle, after the crowd seems to be dying some. It may draw people back in, because it's unique. 

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the blue light special idea. It's something unique and different although the moment of silence may be a bit awkward. As far as safety goes I doubt it would be much of an issue. I've been to a few swaps that never turn the room lights on. While that can be annoying 10 minutes or so could be cool.  Just my 2 cents. 

3 hours ago, buk said:

I really like the blue light special idea. It's something unique and different although the moment of silence may be a bit awkward. As far as safety goes I doubt it would be much of an issue. I've been to a few swaps that never turn the room lights on. While that can be annoying 10 minutes or so could be cool.  Just my 2 cents. 

I agree that there isn’t a real good time to do a moment of silence. I’m still trying to figure out how to do the blue glow. As sales slow down for vendors it could be a good boost. 

• 4 weeks later...

so i don't know how crowded this swap will be with kids + parents, but i nearly had a heart attack trying to keep track of my son at the last expo we went to because it was so crowded; we would literally get separated when trying to stay together. it was bananas. if you're going to turn the lights off, give parents lots of notice. sorry to be the buzzkill. swaps should be super fun not stressful...   {i'm not super uptight, either... just can't be too careful with child predators all over the place and ballrooms with many exits; crazy stuff happens too often these days}

Edited by thefidlers
adding more

27 minutes ago, thefidlers said:

so i don't know how crowded this swap will be with kids + parents, but i nearly had a heart attack trying to keep track of my son at the last expo we went to because it was so crowded; we would literally get separated when trying to stay together. it was bananas. if you're going to turn the lights off, give parents lots of notice. sorry to be the buzzkill. swaps should be super fun not stressful...   {i'm not super uptight, either... just can't be too careful with child predators all over the place and ballrooms with many exits; crazy stuff happens too often these days}

Very good point. As of now I don’t plan on doing this this year. If the crowd thins out and it gets slow we may try it to pick things up a bit.