Just joined from R2R

Keithw283

Hey guys, I got a message from someone on reef2reef to join this site so I just wanted to say hello. I am in the process of starting my 180g reef tank. Running the plumbing to the sump tomorrow and hopefully have water in it by Sunday. Should be ready to go by the expo in March so I'm looking forward to that!

7 hours ago, Keithw283 said:

Hey guys, I got a message from someone on reef2reef to join this site so I just wanted to say hello. I am in the process of starting my 180g reef tank. Running the plumbing to the sump tomorrow and hopefully have water in it by Sunday. Should be ready to go by the expo in March so I'm looking forward to that!

Welcome, we are glad to have you!  What part of the state are you from?  Would love to hear more about that tank.  What equipment choices are you going with amd livestock plans?  Of course we love pictures!  If you need any help along the way just shout out.

1 hour ago, Muttley000 said:

Welcome, we are glad to have you!  What part of the state are you from?  Would love to hear more about that tank.  What equipment choices are you going with amd livestock plans?  Of course we love pictures!  If you need any help along the way just shout out.

Thanks! I am about 35 min northeast of Cleveland. Will be asking a lot of reef related questions as this will basically be my first experience with corals. I plan on a mixed reef. I dont have too many plans for stocking but I'm looking at a blue tang, purple tang and one spot fox face. Fox face will go in before the tangs and I know to keep them well fed so they don't nip at corals. Gonna add the tangs at the same last. Now, I typically get my info from live aquaria on mi imum tank size but I dont think I should put a naso tang in my 180. What do you guys think

I would definitely recommend against a naso in a 180. I usually put a lot more faith in live aquaria’s tank size recommendations compared to their competitors, but this is a fish that gets well over a foot long and needs lots of room to swim. A 180 is a temporary home for this fish in my opinion. 

Edited by Muttley000

I agree. Pretty much just trying to find someone to tell me it's okay lol. I'm not going to do it though. It's alright, I have plans for a 360 in the future so I'll just get one around that time. I see a lot of people have success with angelfish in their reef tanks. What is the trick to that? Also keeping them well fed? Or is it just luck? I thought pretty much all of them were prone to nip at corals.

Nice! You picked out some good equipment! I think angles are pretty hit or miss, and depends on what kind of coral you are wanting to keep. Most angles like to nip at LPS and some will nip at SPS. I have heard that if you introduce them before adding coral and keep them well fed, it might help in them not picking. Who knows though. I have a Potters and he has been a model citizen. Doesn't mean he won't change his mind one day :wacko:

50 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

Nice! You picked out some good equipment! I think angles are pretty hit or miss, and depends on what kind of coral you are wanting to keep. Most angles like to nip at LPS and some will nip at SPS. I have heard that if you introduce them before adding coral and keep them well fed, it might help in them not picking. Who knows though. I have a Potters and he has been a model citizen. Doesn't mean he won't change his mind one day :wacko:

thanks for the advice. I would have assumed that the coral being there first would have helped them not pick at it. I figured that the fish would assume the coral is food if the coral was added afterwards. Potters are pretty cool. I'm looking at a regal. They seem to be better suited for my size tank than most of the larger angels. How long have you had your potters? As for my equipment, I took a lot of time researching protein skimmers before settling on the curve 9. the vortechs and radions I pretty much knew I wanted and I just got the vectra to stick with the same brand. I normally don't care about that but I can hook all that to my reef link so I figured why not lol. Do you think it would be a good idea to put both MP40s on one side and the corals that don't require as much flow can go on the opposite end even though those things move water like crazy and it probably won't matter if they're on one end. 

Edited by Keithw283

43 minutes ago, Keithw283 said:

thanks for the advice. I would have assumed that the coral being there first would have helped them not pick at it. I figured that the fish would assume the coral is food if the coral was added afterwards. Potters are pretty cool. I'm looking at a regal. They seem to be better suited for my size tank than most of the larger angels. How long have you had your potters? As for my equipment, I took a lot of time researching protein skimmers before settling on the curve 9. the vortechs and radions I pretty much knew I wanted and I just got the vectra to stick with the same brand. I normally don't care about that but I can hook all that to my reef link so I figured why not lol. Do you think it would be a good idea to put both MP40s on one side and the corals that don't require as much flow can go on the opposite end even though those things move water like crazy and it probably won't matter if they're on one end. 

I think regals is one that is less likely to pick. Honestly, I have heard it both ways, so I am not really sure. Lol

1 hour ago, Keithw283 said:

Does anyone else have problems adding a radion to their reeflink? I added 2 about a week ago and picked up a 3rd today and it's really being stupid. Ots telling me I'm not using a compatible browser and I should use chrome and chrome is all I ever use

If I remember right @watdachuck is using multiple rations on a reeflink. Mine are controlled with a WXM and my apex so I can’t help

18 hours ago, Jesse said:

You know how to pick equipment up. I like. 

Yeah the curve 9 is rated for 400 gallons. Can easily handle a 180 even if I have a heavy bioload. Played with my radions last night and love them so far. Have done a little work on my plumbing but I won't have water in the tank by the end of tomorrow like I had hoped

On 2/8/2019 at 7:53 AM, Keithw283 said:

I agree. Pretty much just trying to find someone to tell me it's okay lol. I'm not going to do it though. It's alright, I have plans for a 360 in the future so I'll just get one around that time. I see a lot of people have success with angelfish in their reef tanks. What is the trick to that? Also keeping them well fed? Or is it just luck? I thought pretty much all of them were prone to nip at corals.

I am soooo thrilled that you said you will get one THEN.    Too many times folks say “oh I am gonna upgrade later, so I will get one now”.   Very smart to just wait.  There are so many fish to enjoy with the tank you have chosen!  Welcome to BR!  I will be following!  Angel fish usually turn to coral munchers later.  I had a queen angel I loved so just lived with her coral munching.  

Edited by music