Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater

Joe

13 hours ago, jeff70 said:

I have one in my nice tank.  I plan to change this on every other year as opposed to yearly which I currently do in my other tank. 

Do you feel it’s worht the extra money? A 300 watter costs $140. That’s almost 3x the cost of what I normally use. 

Joe, my wife and I have had tanks since 1988.  A malfunctioning heater took out a tank in the mid 90's , It was beautiful fowlr tank (had a tusk and emperotor along with elegance corals and big birdsnests ) and we really cut back to a small (29 gallon) with open brain and some mushrooms and a damsal. We moved in 2007 and moved everything into a 30 gal long with a sump and all went well.  Twice we caught a heater that got stuck in the on position and were very lucky it didn't kill everything,  about every 2-3 years the heater would fail.  I've used in-line heaters and titanium with independent control.  and everything fails, it just is catastrophic when it fails in the "on" position.  these heaters have microprocessors that theoretically will not fail in the on position, although there are stories I've heard that don't agree with this.  I use 2 200 watt because of the size and cost.  Its an investment in my mental health.  But now with an apex that will cut the power, I'm not sure what ill do.  But I've slept and traveled better knowing I won't cook my tank.   

hope this helps

shit I just spent $40 to send a water sample to California so they could send it to germany to get it tested(triton)   whats $100 for a heater???  lets face it this hobby is not cheep!!  lol

1 hour ago, jeff70 said:

Joe, my wife and I have had tanks since 1988.  A malfunctioning heater took out a tank in the mid 90's , It was beautiful fowlr tank (had a tusk and emperotor along with elegance corals and big birdsnests ) and we really cut back to a small (29 gallon) with open brain and some mushrooms and a damsal. We moved in 2007 and moved everything into a 30 gal long with a sump and all went well.  Twice we caught a heater that got stuck in the on position and were very lucky it didn't kill everything,  about every 2-3 years the heater would fail.  I've used in-line heaters and titanium with independent control.  and everything fails, it just is catastrophic when it fails in the "on" position.  these heaters have microprocessors that theoretically will not fail in the on position, although there are stories I've heard that don't agree with this.  I use 2 200 watt because of the size and cost.  Its an investment in my mental health.  But now with an apex that will cut the power, I'm not sure what ill do.  But I've slept and traveled better knowing I won't cook my tank.   

hope this helps

shit I just spent $40 to send a water sample to California so they could send it to germany to get it tested(triton)   whats $100 for a heater???  lets face it this hobby is not cheep!!  lol

Well put. Thank you for your experience. I am a firm believer of learning from others mistakes so that I don’t have to live through the same mistakes. This helped a lot. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Just so you know you started my mind in this direction. Lol. 

It is a very pretty heater isn’t it?  I really like the finnex heater in my sump though.  If it was given to me I likely never would have gotten one.  I do hope it lasts.  It seems QT resets are hard on heaters.

I've had two over the years and currently use one in a small tank that I don't have a controller set up on. BRS has a video where they tested temp control on several heaters and the cobalt was the best even beating out a non thermostatically control heater controlled by an Apex. The video is worth checking out. With that said heaters fail and I had a cobalt fail after about 2 years and it did fail in the off mode. IMO if you are using a controller like Apex it's not worth the money but if you don't have one I would spend the extra money. So what kind of tank are you planning? Don't be holding out on us LOL.

2 minutes ago, zachegg said:

I've had two over the years and currently use one in a small tank that I don't have a controller set up on. BRS has a video where they tested temp control on several heaters and the cobalt was the best even beating out a non thermostatically control heater controlled by an Apex. The video is worth checking out. With that said heaters fail and I had a cobalt fail after about 2 years and it did fail in the off mode. IMO if you are using a controller like Apex it's not worth the money but if you don't have one I would spend the extra money. So what kind of tank are you planning? Don't be holding out on us LOL.

Thanks for the info. I plan on running an apex. 

This is the plan. Won’t be till this fall though. 

https://www.waterboxaquariums.com/product/silver-marine-70-3/