• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

culturing copepod population without a fuge

What are some tips to kickstart your pod population in your display tank? I bought the algagen brand and was curious about the best way if I don't have a fuge. I have a section of my sump with some live rock in it. should I add it there? I bought the phycopure to so would I feed it that as well or is that if I am doing it in a separate container?

yes if you have some LR in your sump you can add some there. I would also recommend the pod hotels. put one in there as well. when you need to replenish the pods in the display you just shake the pod hotel in the display area and stick it back down in the sump. They do work but it would not be effective as the only source for culturing

I saw that on Marine Depot. Should I add any pods to the display or will they just become food instantly? I've also read that if you put a small pile of rubble rocks in the display it gives the pods a safe place that fish can't get to. I'm thinking maybe the pod hotel, the small pile of rubble, and just in my rocks in the sump

3 minutes ago, euphylin me said:

i would think that would be sufficient.....are you looking to get a mandarin? if so, its recommended that you designate a rather large area of a sump or separate tank to culture 

Eventually, Not anytime soon though. maybe over the summer but probably not even then. I tried one in my 90 when the tank was still pretty new without doing too much research and ended up taking it back. Don't plan on making the same mistake twice.

38 minutes ago, Keithw283 said:

I saw that on Marine Depot. Should I add any pods to the display or will they just become food instantly? I've also read that if you put a small pile of rubble rocks in the display it gives the pods a safe place that fish can't get to. I'm thinking maybe the pod hotel, the small pile of rubble, and just in my rocks in the sump

This is the method I’ve heard discussed the most. All 3 like you describe seems like it would be better. May want to read on dosing phyto to the system too. 

47 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

This is the method I’ve heard discussed the most. All 3 like you describe seems like it would be better. May want to read on dosing phyto to the system too. 

Yeah I bought the starter pack from marine depot. Came with phyto

7 minutes ago, Deftones2015 said:

Or make it a sticky. I seen it the other day when I was bored at work browsing around.

It's a sticky in the deals sub forum.  @crimsonvice maybe it should be a sticky in general forum also.  Do we have a way to PM new members this info it is in their mailbox at registration???