KMHREEFER

SB Reeflights

I have two of the basic 16 inch 165watt SB reeflights mounted over a 75 gallon reef tank and they work great.  Just curious how many people have them and what are your opinions, likes, dislikes?

I have used the current USA orbit lights ant t5’s supplemented with led strips and have to say the colors and growth are much better with the SB’s.  Have to say for a “black box led” I am impressed and will continue to use them.  I modified mine a little, after calling and talking to the owner of SB, by removing every other lens on the inside and all the lenses around the perimeter to increase spread and mounted them  about 6 inches off the water.  Would be interested to see what the actual par reading is at the bottom, but have yet to get a meter to check.

4 minutes ago, KMHREEFER said:

I have used the current USA orbit lights ant t5’s supplemented with led strips and have to say the colors and growth are much better with the SB’s.  Have to say for a “black box led” I am impressed and will continue to use them.  I modified mine a little, after calling and talking to the owner of SB, by removing every other lens on the inside and all the lenses around the perimeter to increase spread and mounted them  about 6 inches off the water.  Would be interested to see what the actual par reading is at the bottom, but have yet to get a meter to check.

Supporters have access to the clubs meter... Just sayin. :891552755_32(17):

4 hours ago, KMHREEFER said:

I have two of the basic 16 inch 165watt SB reeflights mounted over a 75 gallon reef tank and they work great.  Just curious how many people have them and what are your opinions, likes, dislikes?

Love'm - I use them on both my display and frag tank and they are great.  Check out my build thread for some pics, they grow coral!

Edited by Dr.Fraggenstien

51 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

Interesting. Do you think it's because of the lenses?

From what I've read apogee has a hard time with LED blue spectrum.  There are all kinds of correction factors and whatnot, but I still was not able to get anything close to what I'm certain they are putting out.  I gave up and just go off "feel" now.  

Good to know.  Over a few months time I’ve ramped my blues to 100% or at least as high as they will go. The dials on both of them when manufactured were positioned a little off, for both blues and whites.  One white starts at about 10% and the other about 5%.  Was told by mike at SB to increase the intensity a bit with the removed lenses do to a roughly 20% loss of focused light.  Right now my whites are between 60-70% to where they both looked the same.  No problem with anything bleaching at all in the last 4 months I’ve had them, would like to turn them up a little more but for now just gonna let them be, especially with all the frags I’ve added and am going to be adding from the swap. Last month and this month will be a total of 22 new frags so not rushing anything at the moment.  

That would be awesome, at least it’d be a ballpark range to go from.  Light to sand is 28 inches, light to middle where the sps corals start is about 18 inches. Light to the waters surface is roughly 8 inches.  Blues are at 100%, whites are about 70%.  No rush but greatly appreciated, thank you!

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:56 PM, KMHREEFER said:

That would be awesome, at least it’d be a ballpark range to go from.  Light to sand is 28 inches, light to middle where the sps corals start is about 18 inches. Light to the waters surface is roughly 8 inches.  Blues are at 100%, whites are about 70%.  No rush but greatly appreciated, thank you!

I am not an authority but SB Reef light should be 14" from surface, IMHO your whites are ramped to high but and this is the most important part, You corals will be the best judge. If they are happy then keep your setting but I would raise the lights and you will get way better spread. The lights are very powerful and I have had 2 corals bleach from to high of a setting. They are alive and kicking but I haven't been able to get them to color up.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:56 PM, KMHREEFER said:

I am running a 300W 30" sbreef pro

I may turn them down a little to see if it helps a little with the slight dust algae that’s been covering the glass more often.  Used to clean the glass once a week or so but now have to about every 2-3 days and the little light increase is the only thing that’s changed.  All corals are doing great though and the colors look better since raising it...so far.  Thanks for the insight.  I have a lot of frags coming from the swap this weekend so now may be a good time to turn them down a little and let everything get settled in.

I had 4 SB 16" setting ~10" over my 4' 120g display - set to 100% blue and ~30% white.  

One fell in the tank and was fried, so now I'm at 3 SB 16".  I've turned the whites up a fuzz.  These setting seem good. 

I've got 2 SB 16" setting 14" over my 4' 60g frag tank - set to 60% blue and 10% white.  This tank is very shallow. Again corals happy.  

I would say if your coral are happy, don't mess with them.  That's one of the downfalls to LEDs IMO, they're too easy to constantly fiddle with, and coral generally don't appreciate it.