Jesse

Why do you do water changes?

As the title says why do you do water changes and how often? Do you simply do them because people tell you do? have you seen results? Do they work? discuss....

I don't do them regularly, amd only when I am sucking something I don't want out of the tank.  If I miss 3 days of nitrate dosing I fall back to zero, my phosphates are too low also, amd all my trace elements are replaced with my ATI essentials.

12 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

I don't do them regularly, amd only when I am sucking something I don't want out of the tank.  If I miss 3 days of nitrate dosing I fall back to zero, my phosphates are too low also, amd all my trace elements are replaced with my ATI essentials.

I don't understand how you guys do it.  I skim heavy, weekly 10% water changes, and run a algae turf scrubber, and still have never tested 0 for no3 or po4   

29 minutes ago, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

I don't understand how you guys do it.  I skim heavy, weekly 10% water changes, and run a algae turf scrubber, and still have never tested 0 for no3 or po4   

I think it’s a too lightly stocked problem on my system. It’s set up for a big display but that hasn’t materialized yet. 

20 gallons(10%) every other week or 10 gallons (5%) every week. Hoping to get my N03 up and p04 down. As a newbie it is easier to keep everything in balance with regular changes. Or... everything looks happier when I do water changes and I'm not experienced enough to identify ever single little change. So I keep my coral happy and do water changes.

Edited by Flounder
clarification

15% every Wednesday .

For me it just looks clearer. But of course I also scrub the glass the same day as the water change, empty the skimmer, change out the socks, and refill the topoff.  Change GTO, Carbon, and CO2 scrubber media if needed. I try to keep all maintenance to a single day.

I’m really bad at water changes and changing out my carbon and gfo.  I try to just make sure to do all three at least once a month and so far everything seems well.  Nitrates 0-3 range and phosphates are about .06 I believe when I checked on the Hanna checker this week.