Salt Storage

Jesse

36 minutes ago, KMHREEFER said:

I found out that you get more for the same price with instant ocean if you buy the bulk box.  They divide the salt in the box into 4 equal bags that are sealed which has been convenient for storage.

yep i always get box. then i use the slide in bag clips that really seal it off. it has worked for the regular instant ocean but the reef crystals used to clump up on me

35 minutes ago, KMHREEFER said:

I found out that you get more for the same price with instant ocean if you buy the bulk box.  They divide the salt in the box into 4 equal bags that are sealed which has been convenient for storage.

yeah I like this too, and usually only add a bag or two to my salt bucket at a time, cause like Jesse said, they won't all fit.  

For the ones that are all in one bag, I have something like this and it works pretty well.  Just fold off the cut edge of the bag so it fits nice and neat int the clip and it'll seal it off.

https://www.amazon.com/VNDEFUL-Preservation-Sealing-Suitable-Plastic/dp/B07BWFCY51/ref=asc_df_B07BWFCY51/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241994167146&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13279573135664410022&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9058937&hvtargid=pla-487703806778&psc=1

Just now, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

I also like the notion of mixing up a whole bag at a time so that you know your mix hasn't stratified or whatever.  The 4 little bags make this easier, although, I still haven't upgraded to a large enough mixing container to do it.  Still working out of a ~30g brute

im thinking about going with a brute  but i have heard it isnt as "reef safe" as people claim it is. what is your experience with them?

Just now, euphylin me said:

im thinking about going with a brute  but i have heard it isnt as "reef safe" as people claim it is. what is your experience with them?

Huh, never heard that.  Always heard they were what you wanted.  Anyway, I've been running the one i have for years, and not to say that I haven't had ups and downs over that time, but I'm still using it, and my tank is currently thriving. 

5 hours ago, euphylin me said:

yea i thought i read somewhere that overtime the grey brute cans can leach stuff into the water and the white ones are the way to go

I used one for years before I build my current mixing station.  I still use one as my ATO container.  As a precaution I scrubbed it with a paste of baking soda just to make sure there was no residue.  They mark some of their cans as food safe if you want the extra insurance. 

2 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

I used one for years before I build my current mixing station.  I still use one as my ATO container.  As a precaution I scrubbed it with a paste of baking soda just to make sure there was no residue.  They mark some of their cans as food safe if you want the extra insurance. 

yea im not sure which route i want to go but 5g buckets are getting old lol

Edited by euphylin me

Muttley000 beat me to it.  Some of the brute cans are made to be food grade and they will say so somewhere on it.  I remember looking up the code years ago to look for on the can but can’t remember it now.  I’ve been using one for years and have had no issue that I know of.  I clean it out every few months with a little vinegar and rinse it well before starting a new mix.

• 2 months later...