Pod Hotel: How to Build a Healthy Pod Population

MarineDepot

Another great video.  I DIY'd with some corrugated plastic.  I wouldn't say many go in there because they flock to the cheato I have.  Any good tips to make sure you don't throw pods out when harvesting cheato!  I usually rinse a couple times but know I'm throwing tons of them away.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, Muttley000 said:

Another great video.  I DIY'd with some corrugated plastic.  I wouldn't say many go in there because they flock to the cheato I have.  Any good tips to make sure you don't throw pods out when harvesting cheato!  I usually rinse a couple times but know I'm throwing tons of them away.

I have nothing special or ingenious beyond rinsing it out in your tank. I typically will sort of dunk it and squish it a few times until I notice that all of the "particles" have fallen off the bunch of Chaeto.  I suppose you could put it in your display and let your fish go to town...at least they will hunt down anything left. Some fish will eat the Chaeto as well. I usually don't go this far but I imagine if you leave the bunch of chaeto in your display for say 24 hours, the fish should clean it out.  

From my experience, pods are crazy-prolific. Especially when you have an isolated refugium that is free of predators. I feel the impact of removing "some" when harvesting is minimal because, without fail, I find a ton more the next time I harvest.  

-Robert @ MD