Dr.Fraggenstien

Fraggenstien's Monster

I've pieced this together from spare parts.  Breath life into it.  I am it's creator, its GOD.  It's alive!  It's alive!  Muhhaaa!

Lol, seriously though, slow day at work, so I figure I'll get a little bit about my build up for anyone that's interested. 

It's no lie that it's pieced together with "spare parts" as every piece of equipment was bought or traded for used.  Current equipment includes:

65g Reef Ready Display

55g glass sump

20g frag table

10g fuge

2x250w Hamilton retro kits running XM 20K

24" Odyssea T5 running ATI

Reef Octopus Classic 150INT skimmer

Schuran Jetstream 1 Ca+ reactor

Reef Keeper Elite

Mag 12 Return

Ecotech MP40wes

Ecotech MP10wes

The system is ran old school Berlin method.  Weekly 5% water changes.  Lots of live rock and live sand.  No mechanical filtration but the skimmer.

post-38-0-39208100-1434114174_thumb.jpg

Looks amazing. How long has the system been up?

The system has been running for about 3 years now, but it has transitioned a few times over that period.  When I started it was mainly zoanthids and other common corals that my brother myreef55 was kind enough to give to me.  I grew those out and over the coarse of two or so years traded out for the sps that the tank currently houses.  I still have most of the zoas and commons, they've just been rehoused into two other systems I keep.  This strategy, along with the low cost of used equipment, has allowed me to be in the "green" on this system, in other words the system has paid for itself and then some.

Very nice, I can't wait for the day that I can get out from under the stand! I hope to route mine to a spare closet this fall.

Very nice, I can't wait for the day that I can get out from under the stand! I hope to route mine to a spare closet this fall.

Thanks. Yeah, it's hard to beat. I also had a nice advantage because the carpet in the spare room was tore up and I was able to silicon in some durable plastic sheeting. It's a 4x4' square on the floor and 2' up both walls. I can splash around there all I want. 

That is an awesome tank:) i love your yellow tang and the chalices! What kind of starfish is that

Thanks. It's a deep water fromia and they are awesome. Most active star I've seen, and beautiful as well.post-38-0-81143800-1434137565_thumb.jpg

A little history: The display and stand were the first salt tank I ever setup, bought used with a big crack in the bottom back in 2001. I kept a pretty successful mixed reef in it and even moved it twice, till massive meltdown in 2010 caused by failure in the fans that cool the metal halides made me tear it down. It was banished to storage in the garage. In the mean time I'd turned on and helped both my brother and my dad setup pretty successful reefs. It was my brother that talked me into getting back into things, so the old girl got dusted off and set back up in 2012. Got some dimmable LEDs which I thought were super cool and they fueled my fire so to speak. Sadly to say the 65's time is running short though, there's a 120g sitting in my kitchen that will soon take its place.