Muttley000

Muttley000's 90 gallon on a Multi Tank System

So I picked up a 90 gallon this week. It has a center overflow with dual 1" bulkheads in the bottom. I personally find the dual 1 inch holes useless because if I am going to use 1" it is going to be full siphon to get the flow I want and I would need a 3rd hole for an emergency drain. So I am considering removing the overflow system and plugging the holes in the bottom (or using them for a closed loop) and drilling the back for a coast to coast system. I'll build LEDs when the time comes and put this on the multi tank system. Finally I will have something I can put one of the smaller tang spices in! As per the usual for me it will be a slow build LOL. I want to get the 65 plumbed in and the 40 long lit up before messing with this.

Edited by Muttley000

So was at Dustin Labo's today and he had some great looking yellow tangs. Wife really liked them and asked why I didn't get one. I told her none of the tanks I had set up were big enough for a tang (I know some disagree, but I'm just not cramming them in a 40 long, 40 breeder or the 65) and I need to get the 90 going to keep a couple. She asked if I had everything I needed and if so to get it going. I have everything but would have to use 250 mh until I could do a led build. May get this going sooner than I thought!

So was at Dustin Labo's today and he had some great looking yellow tangs. Wife really liked them and asked why I didn't get one. I told her none of the tanks I had set up were big enough for a tang (I know some disagree, but I'm just not cramming them in a 40 long, 40 breeder or the 65) and I need to get the 90 going to keep a couple. She asked if I had everything I needed and if so to get it going. I have everything but would have to use 250 mh until I could do a led build. May get this going sooner than I thought!

Nice gonna get that big tank fever

Nice gonna get that big tank fever

Oh I have big tank fever. I will build a 10 foot plywood tank as a final tune up to my last build which will be in an addition on the house. I've been drawing up a 12' by 6' at 3' tall with fish room trying to figure out how to best do it. That system would push 2000 gallons and will be my last. All the little tanks are cool in a way, but big will be awesome

So since its been a year...

I changed the title, I am going to put this in my multitank system.  I have decided to plug the dismally insufficient holes that come with the useless "reef ready" overflow.  I am going to try a coast to coast bean overflow on this.  I actually bought some parts this week lol.  I have a spot picked out, just need to find some time to build a stand.

image.jpeg

Had some time today so I spent some time with a razor blade!

before

image.thumb.jpeg.2d68f8d3cc2a495f3697148eab96d978.jpeg

And after

image.thumb.jpeg.c8f2fc13c921224fb4ccda845fbd178f.jpeg

I was a little worried about getting into the silicone that is the structure of the tank so I didn't worry about getting into the corners, sand will cover it anyways.

Where I am putting this tank the end will by very close to my sump.  I will have the Bean overflow in one end like a peninsula tank.  So I laid out the holes and made a drill templateimage.thumb.jpeg.4f46c6ec288f5979486c07dbbc905180.jpeg

And two batteries and about an hour later successimage.thumb.jpeg.a0103c98864e2193f078e008bae55c98.jpeg

And a few more slugs to add to the collection, nut sure why I get a kick out of saving these, but I wish I had all of them I ever drilled now!image.thumb.jpeg.5759a5ca43e8e70506625b649ebbedb7.jpeg

Edited by Muttley000

I was going to silicone a piece of glass over the drain holes, but I think I will go closed loop on this.  I incorrectly thought there were a pair of 1" bulkheads in the bottom.  I am thinking use the 1" for the intake to the pump, and the 3/4" as one of the outputs from this or some similar product.  Any thoughts on this?

http://www.oceansmotions.com/product/4-way-110v/

image.jpeg

Opinions on lights for a 90 please.  Will surely stick with LEDs.  Want to be able to grow SPS but may turn them down and go a different route at first.  Something Apex controllable would be sweet, and not afraid to DIY again if needed.

Edited by Muttley000

57 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

Ordered the glass for my overflow today, should only take a couple days to be able to pick it up!  This build is moving at lightning speed for me now lol

Lighting speed?...you had this tank since oct. 2015.....lol

9 minutes ago, cheap reefer said:

Check out the 360w black box...got mine for $120 on ebay...plenty of light for a 90g..but i dont think ot would be apex controllable.

Could live without the apex control, can't beat that price for sure!

If you went with the standard 2 cord black boxes,(the ones without built in timer) i believe they are pretty simple to get a little diy on, and make them apex controllable. Then youve got cheap lights and something you can tinker with. Right up your alley!

16 minutes ago, cptnspanky said:

If you went with the standard 2 cord black boxes,(the ones without built in timer) i believe they are pretty simple to get a little diy on, and make them apex controllable. Then youve got cheap lights and something you can tinker with. Right up your alley!

Great thought!  Thanks