Muttley000

Muttley000 / Lazy's Frag House Coral Grow Out Challenge (Zoas) 2015

Here's mine (thanks again Dustin for picking it up) post-157-0-99070600-1448197777_thumb.jpe

Not cooperating with the rotation but was glad to see it opened up since I didn't make it home until after 1 AM!

This is on the sand of a standard 30 gallon, which is hooked along with a 40 breeder and a 40 long to my 270 gallon plywood sump. It is under DIY led's. I am only running the whites and blues at 50 percent right now. Only a solitary Bangaii in the 40 breeder for fish tankmates. Other corals in the same tank are a small toadstool, a Monti frag, and a few heads of green candy canes.

Salinity 1.026

Alk 10.4

Calcium 461

Mag 1500+

Ph 8.4

Nitrates and Phosphates measure 0 but there is still algae in the system so I know they are still there.

So just did my water changes and there must have been 20 amphipods swarming around an on the frag plug. They weren't after the zoa itself, but strangely seemed to want the what looks like superglue holding it to the plug?!? Anyone seen this before? Frag was closed but my lights are out as I run my basement lights at night.

Lights on isn't for a couple more hours but I went down to take a peak and there were several around it. There are thousands of the damn things in there, so I siphoned all of them that were on it out and stuck them in another system. Definitely moving the blenny tonight.

Pods were still crawling on it when the lights came on, although they scatter at that point. I did move the black blenny into the tank so it actually does have a fish in with it now. It did open back up so I guess we will just have to see what happens!

Some reading found a surprising amount of occurrences of them eating zoas. I don't see any of mine missing so I don't think that is what's going on, but it was closed when I got up and the lights went out. I moved the plug off the sand just in case to see what happens.

Its a new piece of "rock" in the tank. They are just checking it out for food and habitat. Especially if your tank is loaded with them.

Hope you are right!

This is too weird... the next day after adding our frags, my husband called me to the tank and said "look, it looks like the tank has fleas" and sure enough there were a few bugs, prolly 8 or so... not a ton, but my tank doesnt have a ton. they were also only around my frag, not my husbands... now im really curious... need to get my flashlight out when i get home.

Still closed up tight, but it did open the night I picked it up. More amphipods crawling on it when I got home last night. Thinking of moving it but trying to be patient. Since the polyp looks ok, just closed I am holding off!

@ Dmartinsnyder83 I thought Jesse had a couple extra maybe he can still fix you up