Reefnuts(419)

Tim n Shari's grow out challenge

Well something in the tank has a taste for zoa polyps that are in bad shape . But I've never seen the idol mess with the corals . He watches the plate coral though cause he knows i try to give it a piece of krill evry once in a while . And of course he steals it.

My idol eats everything I toss in the tank but so far I have never seen it pick at corals. I appreciate your response, I looked it up and it appears as though you don't have a build thread. I know its time consuming but I'd love to see and hear more about your tank. I am a huge fan of idols so I'm like a sponge when I see others with them.

tank basics:   93 gallon cube (30x30x24).  reefbreeder photon 24 on front half, reefbreeder superlux on back half.  photon set for slow ramp up to 100% blues and 50% whites.  Herbie style drain into 2 chamber sump with mag7 return. Bubble Magus NAC9 skimmer using a Mag5 pump with fractioning impeller.  Two Little Fishies 550 reactor with bio-pellets,(newly added).  Jebao wavemakers wp-10's for tank circulation. 

tank mates:  Morish Idol, Yellow Tang, Yellow Watchman Goby, Lawnmower Blenny, 2 Percula Clowns, Blood Red shrimp. 

tank parameters:   i guess this means i have to check my water now.   full exclosure .... i don't do this very often.

Feeding:  2 to 3 times a day with random variety.   New Life Spectrum pellets, frozen brine shrimp,frozen krill, Rod's herbivore, seaweed strips,reef nutrition flakes.  spot feeding corals with cyclops and Two Little Fishies Zoaplan(newly bought). 

thus far my polyp (2 polyp frag) is proving to have the same personality as mine.  a bit of a procrastinator.  LOL.   Started to barely open up the first day, then we came home to find the frag upside down.  How it got turned upside down in my makeshift cage has me scratching my head, but it's the first time my fish have seen a "frag rack" so I'm sure they were poking around.  But anyway , back to square one with it closed up.  I was a gentleman and let TanksRus take claim of the frag that openned up first.(2 polyp frag), with one polyp fully open, one hard to see but not showing yet. It's still under discussion on whether or not i will be spot feeding hers for her or not.  :-)

Tim n Shari's / Lazy's growout challenge is now just Shari's/Lazy's growout challenge  (insert sad face here).    Apparently the makeshift cage that my polyps were in just wasn't tall enough to avoid the long snout of the Morish Idol.   My polyps never fully openned.  After about 5 days they would open almost halfway. Stayed that way for about a week, then the Idol started to pester them.  he turned the frag upside down in the cage,(not sure how) a couple days in a row. Which of course closed them up tight.  Out of desperation moved them to the sand bed, that didn't last long enough to go to the bathroom and the Idol had em upside down again.  tried to hide em in the sand in a nook i didn't think the Idol could get to.  That lasted maybe 5 Minutes until they were upside down again.  Glued em to a rock, he knocked em over before the glue could cure.  So back into the cage and hoped he would leave em alone to recoup.....  Nope.  Gone off the frag when I got home from work.   All while just 2 inches away, Shari's (tanksrus) 2 polyps were proudly waving around in the calm current like a festival queen in a doing the "parade wave".    I think she coaxed the Idol to take me out. 

Her frag is doing well though, with a 3rd fully developed polyp.  I haven't seen the 3rd polyp open up yet, but we can see some of the skirt sticking out.  With hers doing well, we glued it to a rock last night.  The original 2 polyps openned back up within about 10 minutes.  hopefully all is well when we get home from work.  I expect that it will be fine. the Idol only seems to mess with polyps when they are closed up tight and not doing well.   I'll have her get an updated picture and create a new thread for hers.