Moorish Idol

Lazylivin

Who here has an idol in their tank? Let us know and tell us about it. How long you have you had it and what has been your experience with it. Those that have had and lost them tell us about that as well.

I have had mine for a little of a year. It gets feed once a day with the rest of the fish my DIY coral/fish mix. It is the most active fish that is always front and center. It is the least aggressive in the tank but also the dominant fish. I have been lucky that it doesn't pick at coral. Here is a pic

post-5-0-59966100-1448412914_thumb.jpg

Your tank is so amazing. I purchased a pair of them a few months ago. I had the lfs feed them while I watched. The one ate right away butbthe other was very shy. The owner assured me it was eating as well and claimed thry do better in pairs. He cut me a pretty good deal on the pair so i reluctantly bought the two of them. After getting them acclimated in my tank the one became a pig and has fattened up a lot. Unfortunately the other never would eat. I tried LRS, shell on clam, bloodworms, nori, flake food, mysis, brine shrimp, and pellets but it never touched a single thing. It perished shortly thereafter. The one that nade now pecks at the glass begging for food. Here is my little pig, love this guy.

TObrIXe.jpg

I currently have 2 Idols. I had to separate them so they are in different tanks . 93 cube and for a few months a 29 , now a 65. I got the first one maybe a year and half ago. Gerbers had 3 at their store for a few months that i drueled over each time i went there . 2 of them sold and i finally pulled the trigger on the poor guy left behind . The only thing it was eating at the store was frozen half shell clam. My tank at that time was a fowlr 52? Column for a few months till the 93 was ready. Shortly started eating frozen brine . Got the 93 cycled and moved the fish over . Couple months later had a sudden serious problem. My fish were suddenly stressed and i lost about 5 fish in about 5 days . Only fish remaining was a lawnmower blenny and the Idol . The Idol was clearly lethargic. Its eyes became hazed over and stopped eating cause he couldnt find the food. I was in panic mode medicating the tank with no improvement . Fought the tank for nearly 2 weeks . Out of panic i threw a bunch of loose carbon in the filter sock .... don't ever do that . The sock over flowed and pieces of carbon wiped out my skimmer and return impellers . Was able to keep the noisy return pump going till i got new impellers. In replacing the impellers i discovered my tank drain hose was splahing onto the bottom of the tank and the drips were running over and down onto the plywood of the stand and dripping back into the sump thereby turning my water toxic. Moved the sump and resolved the splashing and finally things started getting better . All told the idol wasnt able to eat nearly 3weeks. And much lost sleep for me .

My second Idol i happened to come across a fellow reefer who was about to flush it because it ate his clam. He bought it from live aquaria. Had it in his reef tank for over a year. I was leary but had read they do better in pairs. As soon as i put it in our tank they were best buds for months . Always following each other into the same swimming area. The new one taught the old one to eat pellets. They were best buds till one day. I would sware they were doin the x-rated version of the twist. From that day forward the original pesterred the other constantly.

• 2 weeks later...