Bryopsis takeover

Sounds like you are probably creating a lot of nitrates.  Biopellets and a good skimmer would do you well.  An ATS would also be useful, as well as several other possible methods.  I would spend some time reading about nutrient export and devise a game plan, then put it in action!

7 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

Sounds like you are probably creating a lot of nitrates.  Biopellets and a good skimmer would do you well.  An ATS would also be useful, as well as several other possible methods.  I would spend some time reading about nutrient export and devise a game plan, then put it in action!

Ive got a plan to re work my entire filter system with a 10 g sump this summer, but i need a temporary solution till i can get the time and money together to put my plan in play. I really dont want my corals to bite the dust while i work on getting my stuff together for the build.

I fought it several years back in a 29 gallon I had. Get nutrients under control make sure you use ro/di water for mixing new saltwater and top off, skim, water changes etc. Then use Kent marine tech-m and get the magnesium levels up to 1600 and keep it up there for a couple weeks. You'll notice it start to turn a whitish tan color and will start disappearing. For some reason you have to use the Kent tech-m product, using anything else to get it up won't kill it. I had found several threads on reef central and reef2reef about it, and it worked for me. It's a hard one to get rid of, I tried pulling the rock that had it on out and scrubbing it and even bleaching but it would appear other places. Finally tried raising the magnesium and it worked. Good luck!

1 minute ago, ach6175 said:

I fought it several years back in a 29 gallon I had. Get nutrients under control make sure you use ro/di water for mixing new saltwater and top off, skim, water changes etc. Then use Kent marine tech-m and get the magnesium levels up to 1600 and keep it up there for a couple weeks. You'll notice it start to turn a whitish tan color and will start disappearing. For some reason you have to use the Kent tech-m product, using anything else to get it up won't kill it. I had found several threads on reef central and reef2reef about it, and it worked for me. It's a hard one to get rid of, I tried pulling the rock that had it on out and scrubbing it and even bleaching but it would appear other places. Finally tried raising the magnesium and it worked. Good luck!

I will definitely try that, sounds like you had a similar set up to mine so hopefully it will work for me.

10 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Joe just went thru a battle with Bryopsis. I know it has made lots of people get out of the hobby. 

Ive thought about ditching the hobby when i hit a major bump like bryopsis or tank failure. But then i think about the reason i got into this hobby, because it wasn't easy and there is always a new challenge to face. There is always that feeling of if you screw one thing up the whole system crashes, and that is just not an option to me.

3 minutes ago, Trapboy6000 said:

Ive thought about ditching the hobby when i hit a major bump like bryopsis or tank failure. But then i think about the reason i got into this hobby, because it wasn't easy and there is always a new challenge to face. There is always that feeling of if you screw one thing up the whole system crashes, and that is just not an option to me.

The challenges are part of the fun and heartache. If it was easy everybody would be doing it right? Glad you're keeping at it. 

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

The challenges are part of the fun and heartache. If it was easy everybody would be doing it right? Glad you're keeping at it. 

Thats for sure everyone would probably have a reef if they weren't actual work to maintain. This hobby has caught me hook line and sinker lol, if i had to start from scratch tommorow i would and not think twice.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jessica said:

Untill you get a media reactor put some gfo in a small mesh filter bag or a piece of pantyhose with a zip tie and keep it under your filter floss. I use old chemi pure bags. Seachem "the bag" will also work.

Thanks for the idea, but i just ordered the last thing i need to get my reactor running so hopefully it will work to reduce the nutrients.

• 1 month later...

Im thinking my plan of attack will be to get one, take My power head and hob filter off and soak them in a beach solution to kill off the bryopsis on them, the deactivate the beach with prime. After the nudibranch eats almost all of the bryopsis in the tan. Ill take My sump offline and out a bleach soluzione through it and deactivate it, puting the powerhead back with the hob filter till all of the stuff is gone. Reinstate the sump put the power head and hob in one more bleach bath and hope i got rid of it all. Any flaws in My plan?

If you are sure you have the B word there is just one cure:  its not nutrient control though because the algae has the uncanny ability to compost under itself.  Kent brand Magnesium.  use a salifert test kit and slowly dose the Kent brand Mg to 1500 or a little better.  This will cause the algae to lose control of its photosynthetic process and ultimately kill it.  Know that the spores will remain viable for an extended period of time so I would strongly urge you to continue with the kent treatments for a few months after you have eradicated the pest.  

No cleaning crew or water change will win this war.  Hair algae is much different and is very well controlled with a clean up crew and proper water parameters but not this genus.