Green Bubble Tip Question

Muttley000

i got a green bat several months ago from a member who had a tank full of splits.  It has done well in one of my systems and I was feeding it larger chunks out of Rod's food every few days.  For the past 2 weeks he has been closed.  Color looks good, he is stuck in place and hasn't moved, but I haven't been able to feed him.  I have seen my clowns in that tank near him but never rubbing on him.  I have the rose bat I got from @cptnspanky in a different tank on the same system.  He is opened up and doing great, even though he is in the only place I can't see him, I have to look through a hole in the rock to tell he is opened!  So I don't think this is a water quality issue.  I had read that this could be a sign he was getting ready to split but that hasn't happened.  Any ideas?  Here's a pic.

image.jpeg

The foot looks huge compared to the anemone itself. Either the anemone itself is more closed up than it looks in the photo, or its been growing/spreading its foot. another decent sign of splitting. The only anemone I've had split stopped eating for about a 2 weeks before it actually did. I don't know if that is the norm though....I think the arrow is pointing towards splitting but definitely keep a close eye on it

Sometimes they don't always do the right thing. When I tore down the 180 I found 2 splits from my green bta in the rock. They were almost clear. They had plenty of room to move in the light. They just didn't. I put them in a smaller tank and they gained color in a short time. 

If you get the chance to get him off the rock. You could pull him and put him in a basket for a week at the edge of your light. Then put him back. Sometimes that resets something in them. 

1 hour ago, Muttley000 said:

I can just flip the rock over and light him up.  Do you think that's worth a try?  I think he would be hard to remove from the rock since it's such a rough surface and it seems to have filled the holes.  I don't want to tear it's foot!

I would defiantly try that first. 

2 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

Flipped the rock over to put him in direct light last night which is my lights on.  This morning at lights off he had moved out of the direct light toward the back of the tank, which makes me feel I am providing more light than he wants

Some nems can't get enough light. And some nems don't like all that much. Have you fed him? 

I got a rose tip from Lazy about 4 months ago and it moved all around my tank for the first three. It stayed out of the light for several months and never really fully came out. It started losing color and I wasn't sure it would live but eventually he started moving again and now it at the highest point in my tank and has regained it's color. I tried placing it but it's futile. It will find a spot it likes. He was the size of a baseball when I first added it and now he's 6 inches in diameter.

8 hours ago, Joe said:

What are your nitrates? I know me news hate(d) higher nitrate levels. Just spitballing here. 

Not measurable with a Red Sea kit, but it's just because algae is using them up.  As I have started adding livestock and feeding heavier I don't have more algae, but it is greener so the nutrients are there.  Plus other 2 nems in the system are doing great.