Muttley000 Water Mixing and Storage System

Muttley000

I have purchased two 150 gallon vertical tanks from Kentucky Tank so this is officially starting!

here are my wants with this system:

1) Automate my RODI system to auto flush

2) Keep one container full of RODI using a high and low sensor system

3) Integrate a booster pump into my RODI

4) Use a pump to transfer water between containers, to mix salt water, to do a water change in my large system by turning valves, and to still be able to draw a bucket from either tank

5) Get an Auto top off in my large system

6) Whatever you guys inform me I am forgetting!

Many of you probably saw me pumping Russ from Buckeye Hydro for info a week or so ago on the RODI pieces.  I am thinking Auquatec 8800 booster pump and a solenoid to accomplish to auto flushing 

Control wise this would be a great opportunity to jump into an Apex, could use an old salvaged PLC out of a machine at work, or like the reef fanatic controller just for the tank level.

Thinking Iwaki 55 size pump so it can be an emergency spare for my skimmer.

I should be able to get tank pics up tomorrow, they are at my shop, and they don't fit in the Prius lol.  Looking for ideas, lessons learned and any other information I could use!

I have a stuck on 150 watt I was thinking of using.  These will be in a basement that never gets above 70 even with all the tanks.  I also have the option of taking a pex loop and putting it in there and just let it take heat whenever my sump calls for it.  Thanks for bringing it up!

Forgot to take he pic at work, I know I'll be punished for that one!

10 hours ago, Joe said:

Where are the pictures, diagrams? 

I'm looking for some input before I draw. Still have about 50 pages of the big RC thread on the subject to reread along with all the build thread links in it!

5 hours ago, crimsonvice said:

Following along. I really need to figure a better system for storing, mixing, and water changes. Maybe you will give me a few good ideas.

Sent from my Star Trek communicator

Hope so too!

11 hours ago, Jesse said:

I like where this is heading. 

Hope to make it worthy of your expectations!

11 hours ago, Joe said:

Wow. You starting a zoo aquarium? 

Lol, I will continue to accumulate equipment for a 1000 gallon system, it's been a dream for 30 years!  Ply build isn't going to happen this summer, but I still plan on topping 600 total before the snow flies. This will make my max emergency water change 50%

Haha I thought the ROI was the easy part. Let me know how I can help. Make it easy on yourself and go Spectrapure. I believe the system you'll want is at the $400 price point for 90gpd. I didn't go larger because once it's filled I wouldn't be in a rush. Best thing ever is the built in auto flush!

The only update is that I can't fit the tanks in my Prius to get them home (stop laughing everyone!)  Also no one has commented on my plan, hoping someone would shoot some holes in it!

Lol, I wish I could help with the plan but I am not qualified :/ my mixing station is primitive. Two 55g drums with tubing, float valve, couple of pumps and a heater.

36 minutes ago, Karmann said:

Lol, I wish I could help with the plan but I am not qualified :/ my mixing station is primitive. Two 55g drums with tubing, float valve, couple of pumps and a heater.

Uh, we are going to have to see that in the mixing station thread!

• 2 weeks later...

I really hate how much needs done before I can move these tanks.  Need to get the 100 gallon Rubbermaid that will be the cryptic fuge plumbed in to get the space set up.  I have a Michigan Basement I am working in with 6 foot ceilings and rock walls.  As I have used more space in the basement I have been covering the rock walls that are exposed (last owners built cement block and concrete reinforcement all around that is 28" high) with white masonite.  So I got the wood trim involved with covering the west wall primered today.  Also got started on stand for the Rubbermaid and got a few pics.  Not much but something lol.  If it's nice out tomorrow hopefully I'll get them primered too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg