MBS

20L True AIO Conversion - Live Rockless Tank Build

Yes... the title is correct.  We're making a 20L true AIO conversion that is designed to function with no live rock.  First, what do I mean by "true AIO"?  This tank will have surface skimming, mechanical filtration, biological filtration and ATO all within the sleek confines of a 20L.  You will be able to put this one 30" x 12" tank on your desk and have it run with no extra ATO containers or sumps.

Since its designed to include biological filtration there will be no need for live rock in the tank.  We have a specially designed chamber that will house a chunk of marinepure large enough to handle up to 35 gallons of water. This will free up the all the space in the display area to do whatever. We see this as a major benefit if you wish to do minimalist rockscapes or house critters like seahorses and pipe fish.  Since no rock is required, the front can actually act like a refugium - grow macro or seagrasses instead of live rock for your sea horses to hang out with.   Or, by including those items with minimal rockscape you could in theory maintain a tank with minimal to no nitrate maintenance.

So... this is a build thread.  I debated whether to put it here or in the General catagory but since we're planning to offer these for sale as kits or parts I'll put it here.

So.. Day 1 - We cut the parts out on the CNC.  This is all 1/4" black cast acrylic.parts.jpg

Then Glued them up...

glued.jpg

...from the top left the water enters through the weir.  it then drops down and passes under (and some through) the plate on the bottom with the holes.  That chamber will hold the marine pure.  The next plate to the right will force all the water up (heater chamber) where it will go over the top into the main holding chamber.  We are designing a special biopellet reactor (based on the F5) that will feed a custom recirculating skimmer in the center chamber.  Our return lines are not drilled yet - will do that soon.  There will be 2 in case you want to run 2 alternating pumps for variable flow in the display.  The right most chamber is a 1 gallon ATO tank.  It will be sealed from the rest of the tank to hold fresh water.

Test Fit...

test_fit.jpg

All is good.  I won't have the bulkheads until Monday. but I hope to have the tank up and running by the end of next week.  I have the marinepure block soaking in a running tank so it should be all microbed up and ready to roll around that time

This tank will be for sale.  Not sure when I'll be able to part with it but in the mean time I'm willing to entertain offers.  Pricing has not been set, but a finished tank will be cheaper then most AIOs of similar size on the market.

Will you be selling this as a kit that someone buys a tank and puts this into? or selling these as complete setups? These drop in baffles for sumps would be another great product line for you. make some with the adjustable thumb screws and some with teeth. I am sure you could come up with something cool. Put together a DIY sump kit. Do for standard tanks. 30L, 40B, 55, 75 maybe..

54 minutes ago, myreef55 said:

Will you be selling this as a kit that someone buys a tank and puts this into? or selling these as complete setups? These drop in baffles for sumps would be another great product line for you. make some with the adjustable thumb screws and some with teeth. I am sure you could come up with something cool. Put together a DIY sump kit. Do for standard tanks. 30L, 40B, 55, 75 maybe..

We're looking at selling it in maybe 4 ways...

1.) Parts only (unglued) - you glue it up and install it into a tank you buy seperately
2.) Assembled - no tank - already glued up, just silicone it into a tank you have
3.) Complete tank - Completely assembled and ready to go tank.  Problem with this is shipping them.  This may be a local pickup only option.

4.) Complete system - Assembled tank, skimmer, reactor and primed (wet) marinePure block from a running tank.  Go home, add substrate (if you choose), add water, plug it in and you have a tank with a biologically active filter ready to go.  Technically it would be cycled out of the box although I would recommend adding inhabitants very slowly.

... a la carte variations of the above as well.

Got it up and running today....  bare bottom for now.  Will probably add some substrate at some point.

front.jpg

Assembled from the front - Kessil 160 lamp

back.jpg

Back showing chambers and pump.  Rightmost chamber hold RO/DI for ATO.  Pump is a Rio 600.  When we got it going, the 210GPH was a bit low for the two output setup.  I put in a Sicce Syncra 1.5 which is 357GPH.  That works much better for a single pump.  Another option would be to use 2 Rio 600s.  That would clean up the plumbing, make better room for the skimmer/reactor and boost turnover to over 400 GPH

running1.jpg

On the desk running

running2.jpg

A little higher shot so you can see the chambers in the back.

On 8/13/2017 at 10:37 AM, XBoxxyX said:

Is this aio Kit still available. ??

I'm interested on this kit as well for my son's 20L reef tank build. Are these still available?