• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Repairing Acrylic Scratching

Neogenesis

Morning Everyone,

I'm taking on a acrylic tank rehab project, and has some significant scratching that I need to repair.  I know I'm going to need to sand, however I have a question about polishing.  I've ordered the Novus polishing compound, however I'm unsure what buffing wheels I should use, and what speed?  I was looking at some 4" foam wheels to use with a drill, but wanted some input from someone that may have done it before.  Foam or Cloth, and what speed?

https://www.amazon.com/Yosoo-Polishing-Buffing-Compound-Polisher/dp/B01GRJ9L9I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1469454304&sr=8-9&keywords=4"+foam+buffing+pads

Thanks for the feedback!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Novus kit by hand with a simple applicator pad used for vehicles with good results. That was many years ago. If I were to do it now I'd use my mini DA thats meant for automotive finishes and im sure it would come out pretty nice.

Having the top chopped off would be 10x easier. Working out of 2 small port holes on the top of the tank is the most difficult part of repairing the interior of the tank.

I did chop the top off already. But it will need new bracing as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk