Peroxide Dip To Kill Algae On Frag Plugs

Muttley000

I just started using it on some zoa frags that have bubble algae on them. Scraped the algae off and poured the 3% right on the frag and left for a few seconds and then soaked in solution of 4/1 for a couple minutes.  Also am trying just using a pipette to squirt some over the bubbles on the rock. Hoping that works else I might try injecting the bubbles . I think the bubble algae is cool looking but man does it spread fast. Wish I had seen it before setting the rock in the tank.

I am just playing with a process I saw on Utube. Lots of info out there. Should see effects on stuff in tank tomorrow. So far the stuff I used it straight on has done fine. Believe me, I don' t leave it on long at all before diluting. I have read some threads where people are dosing it into tanks and having great success.  I am also following a thread on another site about a cleaner named Vibrant that seems to be doing wonders on algae in people's tanks. 

I did some 3% on bubble algae last week with a pipette. Just tried to keep the solution close as I released it. Here is the result... Look for clear bubbles in the middle of the picture. Not bad and didn't have to move the rock. Trying Vibrant on the rest. 

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2016 at 5:28 PM, Muttley000 said:

So I hit my eagle eyes, campfires, a mixed zoa colony, Rastas, and my pink zippers this afternoon.  4 to one and left them for 60 seconds.  Everything seems to be opening back up so we will see what happens!

So I'm curious, when you say 4 to one  part. Would that be like 5 TBS of salt water with 1 TBS poroxide? I need to do this for one of my corals, growing algae on the back side

2 hours ago, AMPM said:

So I'm curious, when you say 4 to one  part. Would that be like 5 TBS of salt water with 1 TBS poroxide? I need to do this for one of my corals, growing algae on the back side

i always thought 4 to 1 meant 4 gallons of saltwater to every 1 tbs of poroxide. please tell me if i am wrong. so i can correct it in the furture.

1 hour ago, WILDFISH said:

i always thought 4 to 1 meant 4 gallons of saltwater to every 1 tbs of poroxide. please tell me if i am wrong. so i can correct it in the furture.

I think it means just what it says, a 4:1 ratio would mean 4 parts water 1 part peroxide....regardless of the size batch it should all scale. so as its written here 4 tbs tank water and 1 tbs peroxide (unless your using the other mentioned ratio of 5:1)

I did it with some $10 zoa colonies I got awhile back that had some zoa spiders on em, did 10oz of water with 2oz of peroxide for 5 mins. Zoas were back open the next day and got rid of all the critters in them. I was worried that it wouldn't go good but it worked out great!

1 hour ago, cptnspanky said:

I think it means just what it says, a 4:1 ratio would mean 4 parts water 1 part peroxide....regardless of the size batch it should all scale. so as its written here 4 tbs tank water and 1 tbs peroxide (unless your using the other mentioned ratio of 5:1)

This is exactly what I meant. I used a specimen cup I got a Frag in as a "part"

15 hours ago, Clint526 said:

I did it with some $10 zoa colonies I got awhile back that had some zoa spiders on em, did 10oz of water with 2oz of peroxide for 5 mins. Zoas were back open the next day and got rid of all the critters in them. I was worried that it wouldn't go good but it worked out great!

umm, what is a zoa spider?