galvintjime

Marburn Academy's 300 Gallon

Hey everyone!

After over a year of planning, quoting, confusion, chaos, and concern, we have it!  To go along with Marburn's new building (9555 Johnstown Road, New Albany), we have have a new tank, and it's a big one!

I just got back home from the building after pulling a few late hours with Aaron and crew from Rivers to Reefs in Columbus (1362 Cherry Bottom Road, Gahanna) and thought that it would be cool to show you all the first photos of the new tank.  It's very minimalistic right now as Aaron is going to work on finishing the tank's plumbing, painting, and hardscape on Monday and I will be filling the tank over that week, but damn is it already one nice tank!  Just in case you've never seen a 300 Gallon Deep Dimension tank before, it is 6 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 27 inches high.

Now, before you scroll down and look at the pretty pictures, I have to do the shameless plug of asking for things.  To help aquascape the tank, we're looking for a number of large coral colonies to populate it with.  One of Aaron's customers has already graciously offered to donate a few large leather corals (and without me having to beg!  Thank you person whose name I don't know!), however we really need more to help fill the tank.  We're putting 3 Kessil A360WE's on the tank, so we'll have enough light to handle anything from SPS sticks to mushrooms, so feel free to consider anything!  I know that I'm asking for donations and of course everything and anything is greatly appreciated, however we will not necessarily take every coral that's offered (if anything is) if it doesn't fit in with what else we have lined up for the tank.  (This is just to keep the tank from looking like it was jumbled together rather than planned.  It's all about appearances. ;) )

Alright, enough of my talk:  Pretty pictures time!

Unboxing the tank with Aaron (on the left) and Seth (on the other left):

IMG_0496.jpg

Personalization of the stand (Aaron's, Sarah's, and my signatures were all added after the photo):

IMG_0501.jpg

A shot of everyone who was actually doing work (including the disembodied hair of Sarah behind the man in pink and the back on Nolan):

IMG_0502.jpg

A wonderful view of the tank (my "office-away-from-office" is where the boxes are):

IMG_0509.jpg

Yet another wonderful shot, this time showing the tank as it stands in the center of the school:

IMG_0508.jpg

Stay tuned for more pretty pictures as the tank continues to be set up! :D

Edited by galvintjime
An extra picture was accidentally added and has been removed.

The livestock is still being figured out, though I can say for sure we will be moving in our Porcupine Puffer and Snowflake Murray Eel.  Besides those, we have more-or-less settled on putting in some larger maroon clownfish, harlequin tusk, queen angel, a group of box/squarespot anthias (whichever you learned them as), and some tangs.  (With the success of the captive breeding programs for both Yellow and Blue tangs, I'd like to get some of each to show our support for such efforts.)  We will hopefully be adding more livestock, though we have to see how the budgets play out.

Here's a list of equipment that's going into the tank:

• Reef Octopus Regal 250SSS Protein Skimmer
  • Sedra 12000 Return Pump
  • Phosban Reactor
  • Gyre 150/250 (Depends upon a few things as to which model we'll go with)
  • Jebao RW20
  • 3 Kessil A360WE's with Spectral Controller

It's not the most spectacular list of equipment, but it gets the job done.  I would have loved to have put one of the new Apex Controllers on the tank for a number of reasons--the most exciting to me being the data that can be gathered that could be used in science of math classes for example--however that was $800 that would have eaten into the livestock budget.  Also, I am still trying to see if we can be a UV sterilizer on the system, but we'll see.

4 minutes ago, chiefs11 said:

Wow ,that is Super!! lol,  to bad u had to put it against the wall. 360 view would be awesome. either way that's a Rad tank, lol. 

Thanks!  And yeah, that would be amazing, but I'm just happy that I got the tank.  I was told that it would have to be against that wall, especially since there was no way we could get electricity into the middle of the hallway intersection.  I do like the nook under the stairs as you really get a cool view of the tank.

IMG_0510.jpg

You know what I wish I would of done with my tank. give myself more room between the tank and the wall. I would go at least a fist away if not a little more. I don't have a fist away and wish I did. just throwing that out there. 

On 12/3/2016 at 11:43 AM, chiefs11 said:

You know what I wish I would of done with my tank. give myself more room between the tank and the wall. I would go at least a fist away if not a little more. I don't have a fist away and wish I did. just throwing that out there. 

While I agree for a personal tank, at the school I don't want to deal with things possibly "falling" into the sump from some student's hands.  Also, guests being able to see into the back of the stand is less than ideal.

This is the tank just after Aaron finished the setup of the equipment and the hardscape on Monday.  (I call the hardscape anything that can exist in its form outside of water, such as rock and sand.)

20161205_201504_14811729568821.jpg

Here's a shot of the sump and all the filtration equipment from laying inside the stand and shooting out towards the main area.  (A very interesting shot from Aaron, I must say!)

20161205_190057_14811729116531.jpg

And here it is nearly half full!  By Friday I hope to have the tank filled, salted, and have the water flowing.  Then in a couple weeks we'll start to get fish in!!!

IMG_0525.jpg

*climbs up out of his dark, wet, NPS hole*

Since you all managed to remind me that the forums exist, and I agree that it is time, I'll be uploading a picture of the tank once I go into work this afternoon.  I would have uploaded one a couple of days ago, however one of our lights had failed after a power surge led to a sump flooding which took out its transformer, and I didn't really think that a half-lit tank would make for a nice scene.  ;)

1 hour ago, galvintjime said:

*climbs up out of his dark, wet, NPS hole*

Since you all managed to remind me that the forums exist, and I agree that it is time, I'll be uploading a picture of the tank once I go into work this afternoon.  I would have uploaded one a couple of days ago, however one of our lights had failed after a power surge led to a sump flooding which took out its transformer, and I didn't really think that a half-lit tank would make for a nice scene.  ;)

Looking forward to it!

*stumbles out from under his mound of Lego Technic pieces and broken laptops and iPads*

@Muttley000 HI!  Holy crap, it's been a long time since I've been on the forum.  0.o  I hope that everything has been going well!

I'll post some updated pictures of the tank after it's cleaned on Tuesday (we're working to get some nutrients under control as we had a few equipment failures, causing some cyanobacteria growth on the sand bed), but I'll give a current stock list:

• Fish
    • Porcupine Puffer (Puffy)
    • Male Box Anthias
    • Moorish Idol (The newest addition to the tank--eating quite well!)
    • Sailfin Tang
    • 3 Yellow-Tail Damsels
    • Large Marine Betta (around 15 years old!)
    • Snowflake Morray Eel
    • Super Male Christmas Wrasse
    • 2 Maitai Clownfish (They have established dominance, but don't pair up)
    • Niger Triggerfish
    • One-spot Fox Face
  • Invertibrates
    • An army of sea urchins (long spine, zebra long spine, pincushion, halloween, and tuxedo)
    • Asterina starfish (The kids love these little guys, and for whatever reason we've had a population spike in the last 4 months)
    • Colorado Sunburst bubbletip anemone
  • Coral
    • Green Star Polyp
    • Finger Leather
    • Green Sinularia
    • Turbinaria heroensis
    • Chili coral (I had to have one NPS coral in the tank...)
    • 2 large gorgonians
    • LOTS of pulsing xenia
    • Misc. mushrooms
    • Misc. polyps
    • Toadstools (sizes range from about 12" in diameter to 1")
    • Hammer colony
    • Gold frogspawn
    • Large montipora skeleton (we had a dosing accident and it wasn't able to recover)
    • Cabbage leather
    • Devil's Hand leather

I'm hoping to get some bright orange and red corals to go on the sand bed, ideally LPS like scoly's or trachyphyllia as that's a big color that we're missing from the tank that really makes things pop.  I've also been considering for about the past minute getting a bunch of Heteropsammia choclea (Walking Dendros) to have wander around the sand bed.  That would be fun to have the kids wonder where the corals would be at any given moment.  (Murphy's law says that they would get stuck in the back on some rocks and die, but I'm foolishly optimistic that wouldn't happen).

Well, that's all I've got for now.  I'm going to go to bed and try to get some sleep before my last two robotics teams' tournament this Saturday.  It won't happen, but a man can dream.  ;)

Edited by galvintjime

Awsome update. I love it when my kids get excited about my tank. I can't imagine how much fun it would be to have classrooms of kids be excited about it as well. Glade to hear things are going well. 

Uh Humm... We definitely need some updated pics :D