Muttley000's Multi-Tank System ATS

Muttley000

13 minutes ago, ben said:

I have tried useing the several differant red led bulbs on my scrubber they never seem to produce as much algea for me as the regular spiral compact or 6500k led

You aren't the first I've heard say that.  These say they are dialed into the same 2 wavelengths for both types of clorophyl. If they don't work out I will be going with led 6500k floods

On January 10, 2017 at 8:51 AM, music said:

Nicely done!  I set up an old CFL over my sump fudge compartment and the algae was gross slimey stuff.  I chickened out and removed the light.

My algae is much the same.  I think, but don't know, that this may be due to my measurable nitrates being 0 while there is plenty of phosphates avaliable. 

It's really brown and slimey but it's growing, I think the MH is too close.  I got a bracket to mount the normal light bulbs built but a bout with the flu last weekend slowed me down.  It's painted now so I just need to wire it up and mount it.  I'll get these aquaponic LED bulbs tried out then.  Also picked up a sheet of corrugated plastic so I could make a splash guard, so hoping to update the thread with those changes this weekend.

The theory is that the high flow area over the screen provides max nutrients and light doesn't have to punch through water.  More raw water touches the algae this way.  Same idea as macro fuge but supposedly works faster.  Both count on providing a place to grow easier than the display.  I just want to get the crap out of my displays!

7 hours ago, cheap reefer said:

Hhmm..once your ats takes off, im very curious how this affects your no3 and po4...because those are the 2 main chemical culprits of nuisance algea.

N03 not measurable, never has been since I first cycled it.  Bought a Red Sea test kit, still nothing, even if I skip a weekly 5% water change! I just get more algae because it is consumed by algae as soon as it is produced.  I think this is why I don't have great luck with zoas, the algae out competes them.  I really feel Nitrates limit my algae growth.  

P04 floats between .01 and .02, when it gets to .02 I drip some Lanthanum Chloride to take it down. I use a Hanna ULR tester for this. This is still leaching from old rock I introduced to the system, but very slowly I think.

appreciate the comments, it forces me to keep thinking!  

28 minutes ago, cheap reefer said:

Well wait....lets think about this..because if hes trying ro grow algae and its not growing...the waters no3 and po4 maybe be locked up in the dt algae thus causing a mineral deficiency needed by the ats...make sense?..i dont know, im really interested in your project and its effects.

Very possible. This is where a 3 day blackout may come in for me. First I will keep manual pulling what I can