Crimson's custom sump

crimsonvice

Why do you need to drill?  I thought the sensor head on that was a mag base?  You should be able to run a 12 volt solenoid instead of the pump, but remember that you loose an important fail safe when you do this. You can only empty your entire reservoir now if something goes wrong, if you make the change you propose it will run until you find it. You will also go through more DI resin starting and stopping the RODI so much, unless you have some automatic way to deal with the TDS creep when you first turn the unit on.

You are correct It does have a sensor. I wasn't sure if I could just trade out the pump and place in a solenoid, or if I had to look into something else. I would use an auto shut off with the RODI as well. Not accident proof, but it would help.

So I am not sure what I think about the TDS creep. I have heard this can be an issue, but is it proven that it causes issues? Does everyone let there RODI run for a few minutes prior to starting to collect it? Honestly, I just am not sure. Make me a believer @Muttley000

• 1 month later...

Looks good. I just added another chamber to my sump for nitrate plates. Def was a challenge but it all worked out and I'm very happy. Only costed me 4.97 at lowes and 2 hours labor on a off day being bored!!! Mission complete!!!!

image.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:39 PM, crimsonvice said:

What's wrong with their sumps?

I have three of them, all three cracked in shipping. I repaired the one that was damaged the least but it is now leaking from a totally different spot. The sock openings are too tight if you have big hands, and if you push a lot of water thru it, the overflow openings are restrictive and it will overflow. I wouldn't recommend one to my worst enemy......junk.

So I decided that I am going to build an ATO container to match my sump. I contacted Queen City Polymers and picked up a few cuts of acrylic. They didn't have any orange in stock, so I picked up some orange acrylic off of Amazon.

IMG_0962.thumb.JPG.2b923801d3a30f5981d3b598774a1e42.JPGIMG_0963.thumb.JPG.5d874b5ddd32b09014307686e8b0bfd6.JPG

With this being my first experience with acrylic working I learned myself a few things. (1) when they score the acrylic on YouTube videos and then snap it, it doesn't break that easy/clean. (2) I really need to buy myself a jigsaw. (3) i need more practice with Weld on 4.

So before I started on the actual container, I wanted to try a smaller project. I liked how on my old Aqueon sump there was a lid on top of the fuge for your light to sit. It was made of black outer rim and a clear acrylic for the fuge light. So I stole the design and attempted something similar with orange and clear. Here is how it came out. 

IMG_0964.thumb.JPG.80a4e5172e82f6a948ce59f21bcc52c6.JPG

IMG_0965.thumb.JPG.ac3dcf6ac9d4e10bb344afe3b0abea73.JPG

I didn't really think through cutting the middle out of the orange sheet. I ended up breaking the sheet into 4 peices and gluing them all together on the clear sheet. Guess this is where having a CNC router makes things great. 

Here are some pictures of seems and bubbles with Weld On 4.

IMG_0967.thumb.JPG.d8896525f6a5dc0f063eb49cc20051ef.JPGIMG_0966.thumb.JPG.9c01979535725d9931c809366778df59.JPG

Overall it looks ok. It will do what I made it for, but not the prettiest piece. Hopefully the container is a little easier. 

4 minutes ago, Birdman said:

How's hay custom sump coming @crimsonvice

The ATO is coming. I welded the pieces yesterday. I was going to wait 48 hours before doing a water test. Fingers crossed. 

2 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Maybe I can pay you to built me a reservoir for my ato 

Lol we will see if this actually holds water. There is definitely a difference in build quality compared to commercial sump to my diy ATO container. 

I am finally about 95% finished with my sump. Only a few things left to tidy up. 

I finished my ATO container. I ended up having to move the float valve to the opposite side due to the way the stand is built. I put an extra hole in the back of the top section, so that my heater cord and pump cord could be fed through it.

IMG_1056.thumb.JPG.4099e1d9f2ecc3916bb60e786010807e.JPGIMG_1055.thumb.JPG.c12c842a1f89198995dc25e9bb8a5931.JPG

I spent the morning moving things around in the stand. I finally setup my doser again. It has been offline since the new sump came in.

Here are the final results.

IMG_1057.thumb.JPG.acd4cdd4d7417beb47aa1eb3f6816d54.JPGIMG_1058.thumb.JPG.6c6ff501eaa985fc50a70e83066b2d63.JPGIMG_1059.thumb.JPG.d2d52d4ace096a93b04a45d294afc0bd.JPG

Things still on the to do list: 1) finish hard plumbing the ATO 2) led lighting 3) sand for the fuge  4) miscellaneous odds and ends