20G Frag Tank

West Mariculture

Finally setup the frag tank we bought at the show. We used a kitchen cabinet from Lowes. A piece of 3/4" plywood and some trim was added for the top. The lights are SB Reeflights. I'll probably need the PAR meter to get the intensity right. We're building some Bonsai Reef for the tank. So far so good.

20170401_120354.jpg

33 minutes ago, Craig said:

Looking forward to this you should start a build thread!

This thread would work.  Maybe you could talk one of the mods into moving it lol

37 minutes ago, West Mariculture said:

Finally setup the frag tank we bought at the show. We used a kitchen cabinet from Lowes. A piece of 3/4" plywood and some trim was added for the top. The lights are SB Reeflights. I'll probably need the PAR meter to get the intensity right. We're building some Bonsai Reef for the tank. So far so good.

20170401_120354.jpg

Looking forward to the rest!

More details:

24x24x8 Acrylic tank. 3/4" thick with internal overflow/sump. It's meant to be a frag show tank, but will suit our needs. Tank is from Acrylic Creations 

- 100W Fluval M submersible heater
- Inkbird Digital Outlet Heat Temperature Controller (I just don't trust heaters)
- CNZ 1-inch Black Aquarium Fish Tank Filter Bio-balls
- Instant Ocean salt
- SB Reeflights - sBox 16" (Basic)
- Small pump that came with tank. Will probably replace or add additional pumps in tank for better flow.

Filled with RO/DI water and getting the temp & salinity right.

Since the tank with water will weigh around 200 lbs. max, the kitchen cabinet was an easy choice. It is 24x24, fully finished, with a drawer and cabinet space, for $159. I cut a 24x24 piece of birch plywood for the top. My son painted it black...and then with glow in the dark paint (I'll get pics when it's dark out). I added some prefinished oak trim to the front and sides of the board. Clear silicone was put on the top edge of the cabinet and the board was put in place. The silicone holds the board in place as well as sealing the top edge from moisture (it's all particle board, of course).

My son and I designed some very simple Bonsai Reef that will maximize space and give multiple heights. They'll be finished within the week and then we can get some pics. It will easily hold 150 frags, but the shelves will probably get drilled to hold more.

We need to look for a cleanup crew and a fish or two (no jumpers). We're taking slow as my son is learning as we go along. The goal is to have him sell frags at the West Mariculture booth at shows. Just something else for our big crazy booth.

We will be using some of my EcoSmart Complete bacteria for initial cycle, as well as weekly maintenance dose to keep things clear. Doing a weekly dose will eliminate crud buildup that should keep the tank very clean without having to add a lot of extra filtration.

20170401_120317.jpg

20170401_120331.jpg

20170401_120354.jpg

20170401_132848.jpg

20170401_132859.jpg

20170401_132929.jpg

• 1 month later...