What do you dose?

Jesse

10 minutes ago, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

I think plenty of people make their own.  Google "Randy's Recipe" - Sounds far cheaper, but not worth the hassle or the potential for issue to me.

yeah I agree. I just like to look at other options. BRS two part has worked great but price has doubled at well.

6 hours ago, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

I think plenty of people make their own.  Google "Randy's Recipe" - Sounds far cheaper, but not worth the hassle or the potential for issue to me.

@Craig was using it at one point. I would be too afraid of bad stuff getting in the system but it works for a lot of people!

• 3 weeks later...

I use brs 2 part and brs kalkwasser.  but I'm working on getting the calcium reactor going.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

I recently switched from CA reactor to BRS 2 Part.  Currently dosing about 65 mL of each a day. 

whyd you do away with the calcium reactor in favor of 2 part?  seems the reactor would be the better option?

The simple answer is I broke my reactor maintaining it.

The complicated aspect is I was considering switching to 2 part anyway for a couple of reasons:

- It is hard to keep the reactor from trapping debris which could be cause for excess NO3.

- It is hard to maintain precision without expensive equipment, and this equipment requires regular maintenance.  Specifically effluent rate via variable rate peristaltic pump and pH control of CO2.

Of course I'm learning that two part has some headache as well (mixing, etc) but, so far, I'm much more comfortable at testing that my parameters are where they are supposed to be.  The reactor was a bit trickier to keep dialed in.  I still have all of my reactor equipment though and could switch back if I wanted.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back to life as this information is ancient. Reached a point where weekly 20gallon (10%) WC isn't keeping up with demand. Also have extremely low nitrate and thinking a weekly 10gallon change would help. Sounds like the BRS 2 part was a fan favorite last year, is this still the hot item?

I switched to ATI essentials which is a 3 part system that includes all trace elements also. I like the system and it does keep my major numbers very stable. The more I read about the subject it really seems that every tank is different when it comes to consumption of trace elements. This is where outside testing comes in to fine tune these things if one desires. All that said there are a large number of tanks that run just fine with the BRS do it yourself elements and nothing special on the trace elements, and they get way better growth than I even dream of at this point. So I can’t really say how important all these little pieces are. I think they are somewhat important, but lots of people had good results dosing before most of us ever heard of vanadium and molybdenum!