Return pumps

lngliv3

I've tried Danner/Supreme/Mag several sizes.   Solid dependable pumps. A little on the loud side. Was suprisingly disappointed by Eheim.  A bit loud and weakened greatly by head pressure.  Couple different sizes of Rio.  Pretty quiet just don't handle pressure all that well. And 3 sizes of Sicce.    Pretty quiet and handles pressure well. Currently using Mag 7 (several years old, will replace with sicce soon for noise) ...  Rio 2100 (My sicce's were too much flow,this was perfect and super quiet) and a Sicce 1.0 for Brs dual reactor and UV sterilizer. 

8 hours ago, Reefnuts(419) said:

I've tried Danner/Supreme/Mag several sizes.   Solid dependable pumps. A little on the loud side. Was suprisingly disappointed by Eheim.  A bit loud and weakened greatly by head pressure.  Couple different sizes of Rio.  Pretty quiet just don't handle pressure all that well. And 3 sizes of Sicce.    Pretty quiet and handles pressure well. Currently using Mag 7 (several years old, will replace with sicce soon for noise) ...  Rio 2100 (My sicce's were too much flow,this was perfect and super quiet) and a Sicce 1.0 for Brs dual reactor and UV sterilizer. 

I've run tons of these, I have a mag 7 and a pair of mag 5s right now also.  They are good solid pumps in my opinion too.

On 4/20/2017 at 0:38 PM, cptnspanky said:

I have the ecotech vectra L1. Its an incredibly powerful and quiet pump with some really nice features....if you use their wireless controller, which i dont. That being said i would ho a cheaper route if i had to replace it

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I also went with the Vectra L1, but wouldnt recommend it unless you also had ReefLink.  I was previously using large MagDrives which are also not bad pumps.

Pros:

- Incredibly quiet, Uses less power, Produces less heat, Easy to make adjustments, Very powerful, Notifies you via email/text with issues (w/reeflink), Wireless controls, Relatively small

Cons:

- Expensive, Not great with a large amount of head pressure

On 4/20/2017 at 0:38 PM, cptnspanky said:

I have the ecotech vectra L1. Its an incredibly powerful and quiet pump with some really nice features....if you use their wireless controller, which i dont. That being said i would ho a cheaper route if i had to replace it

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Get the ecotech apex module and you can control from the apex :)

• 1 month later...

I've always liked Eheim. Had one one my old 30, a 1050 I think it was, ran for years. Dead silent, perfect flow for a single tube over the back overflow. I just worked. I think I still have it somewhere. I have another one that I use as an ATO pump very similar pump, but they changed their numbering by the time I bought it. Overkill probably, but it too has been flawless. My Bubble Magus skimmer uses a 1262, and I've used a 1262 for four or 5  years as an internal return in my 210, it's been in my sump on the deck for a few days in vinegar with everything else that needed cleaned up. I like them because IME they run silent, make little heat, and rarely need any maintenance. If you compare energy usage they are almost always at the top of  what you'll find efficiency wise flow rate for flow rate. Not cheap, but the best I have personally had experience with. I've also used some Rios with mostly good results, had a 2500 burn up bad enough in a sump you could smell it when you walked in. Otherwise they too are fairly efficient (or they were, not sure they're the same now).

Havent decided yet, but for the new tank I'm leaning toward a Vectra since I'm using Radions and Vortechs, thinking I may as well make everything work together. 

• 3 months later...

Have you figured what exactly your head is going to be yet?  That is the starting point, then a final decision if you are going internal or external, and what GPH you want avaliable (don't forget about adding flow for any reactors or fuges etc. on the side).  These decisions will bring a few choices to the forefront