ich or something else????

zachegg

I had what I thought was ich on a Blue and Tomini tang. I removed all the fish from the display and put them all in a hospital tank. I treated the hospital tank for 2.5 weeks with Cupramine and everything cleared up and fish looked normal so I started doing water changes and used Cuprasorb and completely remove the Cupramine which took about a week to get back down to no detectable amount. After a couple of weeks or so in the hospital tank the blue tang has started showing white spots again although no other fish show any visible symptoms. So I treated the tank again and that was 2.5 weeks ago and the Blue tang shows no change and still has spots. It is still eating normally but does seem to be scratching on the PVC pipes I have laying in the bottom of the tank. I'm starting to think this may be an infection possibly? I was treating at .5-.6 mg/L which is what the directions recommend and I am using Seachem products. I am letting the display tank sit fallow for 72 day which I started on March 1st. I have attached current pictures of both Tangs. I also have a clown, basselet, and a cardinal that have never shown any signs of ich but have been in the hospital tank.

blue.jpg

tomini.jpg

From my experience with hippo tangs is they stress out very easy and the do get white spots on them from it..they also have a very weak immune system..possibly its stressing from the move to the ht or all the chemicals your using...imo, i would stop with any chemicals, keep prisine parameters in the tank and possibly find a better food to feed him, this should help him naturally build up his immune system..also i heard ppl say soak the food in cod liver oil helps too..hope he pulls though..if hes eatting and acting as normal as a hippo does, i bet he can kick it naturally...

• 4 weeks later...

So here is the summary. I originally removed the fish from the display tank because they had some white spots I thought was ich. I treated with Cupramine as per the recommended dosage levels and time. The spots went away for a few days and came back so I treated with Cupramine again with no change and the white spots seemed to be even worse. I was doing regular water changes to keep the water clean. I got some advise that it may be flukes so I treated with Prazipro. After about 4-5 days the spots disappeared and all seemed well. I had a few spots return so I treated again after a week and they have been symptom free for about two weeks. I'm pretty sure the white spots were flukes. Prazsipro was very easy to get and very gentle on the fish. It did take two treatments but I'm 99% sure this has cure the problem. The tank has been fallow for over 72 days so they will be going back in soon :)