ID help on some rock I got

So I snagged some rock from a buddy of mine. He had it in a 75 gallon saltwater tank. I want to use it in my 32 gallon bio cube. It will be my first reefer. It's been a long slow road, so just let me know how I should go about preparing this rock for a new tank. I'd like to mix the water then get some "live" rock and seed this stuff with it. Any and all input is welcome! Thanks, 

Al

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

That is going to look great in there!  Has this rock stayed wet or did it dry out?  If it dried I would scrub it off well and put it in a bucket of saltwater with a heater and power head (no light). After a few days check for ammonia and nitrite, which may or may not be present.  If it is neither is present after a few days then get some seed rock in with it.  I like to feed rock every few days with just a tiny bit of fish food, so the bacteria has something to drive growth.  After a month it should be seeded and ready to go!  You could do this whole process in the tank too, but a mistake I have made myself is curing nasty rock with the sand bed in place.  If you cure in the tank no light, and add sand only after you notice there is no stuff falling off the rock as it cures.  

Of course if this rock has stayed wet and at a reasonable temperature the whole time just get it in the tank and go!

I would bleach bath and muriatic acid bath it, sadly if its not cured live rock OR completely dead dry base rock it can be a pain. Bleach will kill all living things including nasty shit, muriatic acid will eat a layer of the rock to make sure you don't get phosphates (that's what causes the algae and can end a reefing career as fast as one is started) now this is the exteme hard reset to mutts soft one

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914426&highlight=rock+reincarnation

stick with the cured stuff and look for any pests in the host tanks ...store or members   gha, bubble algae, dino, or aiptasia, I didn't and now I know how to nuke rocks lol

6 hours ago, Rufus19702002 said:

Thanks guys. It's been dried out for a few weeks. I'm just trying to do this right. Muttley, if I cure it in the tank, you think I should do it with no sand?

I would do the bucket test first or acid bath like mentioned above.  If it is in the bucket a few days with warm circulating water and nothing is coming off it then I don't think curing in the tank with sand is an issue.

3 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

I would do the bucket test first or acid bath like mentioned above.  If it is in the bucket a few days with warm circulating water and nothing is coming off it then I don't think curing in the tank with sand is an issue.

Agreed 

Best would be dead sand and your piece with live rock.  Live sand is going to have die off simply because it's been in a bag for who knows how long .... and dry sand is cheaper too