Muttley000

Muttley000's Flucon Experiment

26 posts in this topic

My algae is bad

http://www.buckeyereef.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7075-my-algae-issues/&

I am preparing to treat with Flucon.  I ordered it at 7:00 Friday from here

https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

and it arrived Monday in the mail!  I bought 60 capsules so I have enough to treat twice if needed.  Going on vacation soon so not starting till I get back.  Any tips or advice appreciated!

How long is he treatment? I would assume you would do no water changes. If you did you would dilute the capsules from working. That would be my opinion. I would def recommend asking the company if you should do water changes. It's like any other medicine. The more water you change. The more your removing. So it's not gonna be as effective. 

Edited by Birdman

No water changes planned.  I am going to do a 20% change before treatment so I am good to go for a couple weeks.  I am going to remain skimming, but route the skimmer cup drain back to the tank and skim wet.  Plan is to leave the small biopellet reactor running.  I am also going to leave the ATS running, but will remove the screen and sterilize it.  Will add macro algae for fuge to main section of my sump after treatment too (still devising a plan on this)

1 hour ago, Birdman said:

I believe the treatment is gonna cause the skimmer to overflow. 

Me too. I have an external skimmer so I will route the cup overflow back into the tank. 

Sounds like a good ideal. Keep in mind the skimmer might reduce the effect of the medication. It may delete it. And don't forget to add your gallons that in your sump. So you get a accurate dosage. 

3 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

Me too. I have an external skimmer so I will route the cup overflow back into the tank. 

Why would you want to do this? 

2 hours ago, Birdman said:

Sounds like a good ideal. Keep in mind the skimmer might reduce the effect of the medication. It may delete it. And don't forget to add your gallons that in your sump. So you get a accurate dosage. 

Yep my sump is more than my tanks. Heck my skimmerand it's plumbing  holds 5 gallons lol

Just now, crimsonvice said:

Why would you want to do this? 

It sounds like it is pretty common for the skimmer to go nuts. If it does I won't remove the meds

you have an excellent plan in place.  I did it many months ago and it was very effective.  Almost too effective.  I had very little algae for my crew.  I do believe it was what started the cascade of events that led to my tank problems and in hind sight I should have started an increased regimen of media change outs and increased water changes.  Nobody really discussed this an the enormous threads on R2R, or RC, but it just makes sense that the die off would leave excess nutrients in the water.  duh!  

20 minutes ago, music said:

you have an excellent plan in place.  I did it many months ago and it was very effective.  Almost too effective.  I had very little algae for my crew.  I do believe it was what started the cascade of events that led to my tank problems and in hind sight I should have started an increased regimen of media change outs and increased water changes.  Nobody really discussed this an the enormous threads on R2R, or RC, but it just makes sense that the die off would leave excess nutrients in the water.  duh!  

That's the same problem I had while using Vibrant. All of this die off and I had a huge spike in nitrates. Didnt think about it until it was already to late. 

Hmmm good points. I'm going to have to strategize on this while I am on the beach in a couple weeks!  I wonder when it is safe to put the skimmer drain back online and do some water changes. I do have going for me that the tanks with algae are only about 25% of the water volume in my system. I feel that is probably different than most setups this has been done in.  

22 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

How goes it @Muttley000?

Won't get home for a few more days, didn't want to start treatment and not be around for a week.  Thank god for the Apex so I can spcheck in on my phone, or I would be going nuts!

I understand that. I am going out of town for work next week, and I am already nervous about what is going to happen. Leaving the tank in the wife's hands... PRAY FOR ME!

37 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

I understand that. I am going out of town for work next week, and I am already nervous about what is going to happen. Leaving the tank in the wife's hands... PRAY FOR ME!

Did you give her the mandatory 3 hour training?..lol

@lngliv3 did you have a macro algae fuge going when you did your treatment?  

Given the further reading and thinking I did last week, I think I want my macrofuge running before treatment.  I am thinking about buying a Kessil H380 (the BRS video sold me) and putting together a 20" square basket for cheato in my sump.  What do you guys think?  I am going to basically be killing a basketball or more size glob of algae and I feel like one of two things will happen.  Either the macro in my displays is going to go nuts and be my next problem, or I am going to get a cyano outbreak.  I feel I must export nutrients from the die off and feel this is the best way to do it.  I also want this on the system long term anyways.  Desperately seeking feedback!

2 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

@lngliv3 did you have a macro algae fuge going when you did your treatment?  

Given the further reading and thinking I did last week, I think I want my macrofuge running before treatment.  I am thinking about buying a Kessil H380 (the BRS video sold me) and putting together a 20" square basket for cheato in my sump.  What do you guys think?  I am going to basically be killing a basketball or more size glob of algae and I feel like one of two things will happen.  Either the macro in my displays is going to go nuts and be my next problem, or I am going to get a cyano outbreak.  I feel I must export nutrients from the die off and feel this is the best way to do it.  I also want this on the system long term anyways.  Desperately seeking feedback!

I Didnt have anything In my sump it. Didn't notice any skyrocketing of levels In my params. The crap just kinda dissapeared 

Kessil H380 ordered. I just need to devise a box to let the macro grow in and then I will be started. Expecting light Wednesday so I'll try to have things ready when it gets here. I'm anxious to get this going!

22 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

Kessil H380 ordered. I just need to devise a box to let the macro grow in and then I will be started. Expecting light Wednesday so I'll try to have things ready when it gets here. I'm anxious to get this going!

I love my h80 and I'm pulling out a basketball every 3 weeks