Species tank ideas?

Clint526

Almost done with my living room remodel and I think it needs a tank. I have my 30L in wall reef already, so not looking to do another reef tank. Want to do either another fowlr tank or a species only tank. Want to keep a very light bioload for ease of maintenance. Would like to get a corner tank or a big cube but I'll go with whatever I can find a deal on that will fit where I want it. I really miss my lion and would consider getting another, but I kind of want to maybe try an eel or a big puffer. Something that has a lot of personality and isn't shy is a must because it will be right out for everyone to see near the bar. Maybe even a couple different or even a few awesome fish. Just want to keep it simple. Suggestions? Past experiences?

Ive always loved thr look of a all clownfish tank...it hilarious to watch them bicker all the time...or maybe a schooling tank like chromis or anthias..those are cheap, easy, fun to watch, easy to keep and might work good in a small tank...although a biocube really limits the load count.

7 hours ago, Clint526 said:

Don't you have to have a special tank for them? 

You can do the round tank thing, but Jim the LA Fishguy markets a device to put in a regular cube or hex tank for them.  

http://www.jelliquarium.com/jelliquarium-jellyfish-360-round-cylinder-tank-free-standing-cabinet-aquarium-systems.htm

I saw in one of your FTS photos that you have a clown(s) already?  I like the suggestion of a simple schooling species, too; anthias would be a kick ass choice. Even though I've been fond of a clown harem tank, I think multiple flame angels, convict tangs or foxface rabbitfish would be awesome spp. only fish.  

Ok guys, just an update on here before I start the build thread... I may have went a little overboard on this idea...

So I'm picking up a 6' 125 gallon this week, and getting my lionsfish back of the guy I sold him too when tank is running and ready. I also plan on adding an eel, not sure what kind yet and maybe one or two others.  This will be in a huge custom built stand under my bar room tv with an electric fireplace insert built in underneath it. It will obviously be a fowlr tank, but I'll prob throw some Kenya tree buds in and see what happens since I have em. lol Can't wait to get this one going! 

Make sure you are completely sealed at he top. Or that eel is gonna escape. No matter what. I strongly recommend considering several options for he lid to secured a locked tight top. Eel are escape artists. And will find a way. Even if you think it won't fit thru. It will. 

40 minutes ago, cheap reefer said:

Lol ask @Gt79reefer about what his 4 year old did to his tank....long story short, laundry soap is not a good thing to use to help daddy clean a tank while hes at work

Nightmare!  My kids dropped pennies in my first salt tank in the early 90's.  Of course at that time we normally killed livestock so fast it was quite a while before I found what the issue was.