Nanoreef13

What to get first!?

28 posts in this topic

Ok so I have a lot of changes that I want to make just to upgrade my tank. I could currently stay where I'm at and be fine I'm sure but where is the fun in that! So I have a few purchases that I want to get for my tank but I can't get them all at once. Here is the list. Tell me what you think I should get first and why. 

Current setup

jaboe duel pumps on pulse mode

mag 9.5 return 

reefkeeper 2 control system

water jugs that I hand pour into the sump

Now for the items I want

MP40w Quite Drive

Jabeo DCT Controlable Return Pump

Apex Jr or Apex Base System (not sure yet)

Tunze Auto Topoff  ( I would run kalk with this)

So what do you all think? I can get one of these things right now. 

IMG_2178.PNG

IMG_2179.PNG

IMG_2180.PNG

IMG_2181.PNG

I'd do the Neptune first, it could make the ATO obsolete eventually by doing it with apex.  Second choice IMO would be to get the mp40 and get the Jabeo off the tank, I have found them to be a ticking time bomb

I was thinking the same thing but idk what version of the apex to get. I want to get the wireless so I can run it off my phone but idk about the price. What versions do you guys have?

Id get the Apex first. As far as Wireless goes you don't really need Wireless right out of the gate, you can connect it to your router and then just run it through a website. that's what I do. I have the gold package still don't have the wireless no need for it. As far as the MP40 goes you can only put it in one position although it doesn't have wires on it it's One Direction. The jaboes do burn up but you can buy 3 to 4 for the price of a mp40. Ive bought 6in the last five years, only two of them have burnt out. My mp40 makes noise all the time but i do love the no wire factor.

I have new Apex but don't use the wireless. The wired connection is more reliable and like trickedout900 said you monitor it via an app called fusion. 

All the Apex versions run off your phone. The new one can be hooked wirelessly to the internet easily where the older models need a hard line but some wireless adapters work as well. 

I was just wondering because my router is far away from my tank and I don't know know if I can run a line all the way to it

25 minutes ago, Nanoreef13 said:

I was just wondering because my router is far away from my tank and I don't know know if I can run a line all the way to it

I was in the same situation, I ran a line all the way to my tank from my modem. 

The Jaebo pumpnis junk. IMO. And be careful when you buy from 3rd party sellers. Refunds and returns usually don't happen if it arrives damaged. I shop amazon. At least 100 times a day. Lol. Not really. But I know 3rd party sellers. Amazon don't support. Which means. You need to be cautious. 

Just now, Birdman said:

The Jaebo pumpnis junk. IMO. And be careful when you buy from 3rd party sellers. Refunds and returns usually don't happen if it arrives damaged. I shop amazon. At least 100 times a day. Lol. Not really. But I know 3rd party sellers. Amazon don't support. Which means. You need to be cautious. 

The one he linked is Fulfilled by Amazon so they will support you.

I know some here like them, but I won't buy another Jabeo product either. Let's face it, you get what you pay for.  If you are willing to possibly go through 3 to get one that works, or deal with the short term faliures until you get the one that is right then have at it.  If you are one of the lucky ones, I'm sure it is awesome. The only thinkg I will give them credit for is putting some downward price pressure on the good stuff lol.

Back to the wired vs unwired on the apex.  I had to route it through a wall and floor to get to my router, too many nightmare stories out there of random disconnects and such that mysteriously went away once a wired connection was used.  As for new technology vs. an older Apex, at some point something is going to come out that is either new apex only, or requires a module to run on an old apex that drives the cost up.  The old platform has been running too long for it not to happen.  The original apex was released in 2009, if you were looking for a computer would you buy the 2009 version or the 2016 version if you wanted to be able to run all the latest stuff.  Neptune has done a good job with backwards compatibility, but eventually a limit is going to be reached IMO

jeff70 likes this

I want to eventually get all the probes and the ATO and all the little gadgets for it that's why I want to go to the apex plus I can see it all from my phone which is a huge plus! My reefkeeper2 doesn't do that .

My router is far from my tank as well. I use the wireless functionality. I used a power line adapter along with my apex Jr to control my temp. No issues with lost connection. Knock on wood
04f42cdf3d958f6d13f1409b712a2590.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

apex jr 250

pm1 (ph) with probe 150

pm1 (orp) with probe 150

pm2 (salt) with probe 210

vdm (controls led lighting) 90

eb4 (4 outlet energy bar) 120

so to copy the full apex with the jr it would cost 950 bucks and you will still lose some things and you also have a lower limit on modules you can add and will take a lot more space

With your system size and the frag tank (yep you can monitor multiple tanks with one apex and control both too) spend the money and get a full apex

jeff70 likes this

1 hour ago, redevil13 said:

apex jr 250

pm1 (ph) with probe 150

pm1 (orp) with probe 150

pm2 (salt) with probe 210

vdm (controls led lighting) 90

eb4 (4 outlet energy bar) 120

so to copy the full apex with the jr it would cost 950 bucks and you will still lose some things and you also have a lower limit on modules you can add and will take a lot more space

With your system size and the frag tank (yep you can monitor multiple tanks with one apex and control both too) spend the money and get a full apex

Where are you located?

Ok I'm stuck between the mp40 and the apex to get first. Ugh lol I'm thinking mp40 because I already have a controller that is working well for now. But at the same time do I want to get the apex so I can start using it lol

So I was thinking if I get the apex jr and the mp40 it will be the same price as just the apex base model. Should that be worth it and can I upgrade the jr to a full one later on?