Chasing Coral Documentary (Netflix)

Craig

I still dont understand how a 2 degree fluctuation in temperature can cause that much disaster...im not a biologist or anything, but my "mini reef" changes between 76 to 80 degrees all the time and thats a + - 4 degrees change all the time and i have never lost any coral from temp change....i think there is more to what the stories tell us...just my opinion.

8 hours ago, cheap reefer said:

I still dont understand how a 2 degree fluctuation in temperature can cause that much disaster...im not a biologist or anything, but my "mini reef" changes between 76 to 80 degrees all the time and thats a + - 4 degrees change all the time and i have never lost any coral from temp change....i think there is more to what the stories tell us...just my opinion.

I'm with you here.  The asteroid that science accepts wiped out the dinosaurs, changed temperature exponentially more rapidly than we are changing now, and put all kinds of crap in the atmosphere didn't finish corals off.  We have been through ice ages and times of much greater warmth than we have now.  Something else is in play besides warming.  You can't deny that the earth is warming in the time we have been recording it, temperature is a measurable thing, but the sample is so small in terms of time I don't believe we really know what it means.  I also don't doubt that burning of fossil fuels is not helping matters, and we should be doing anything we can do to increase efficiency, why not use less?  If the earth continues to warm coral will "move" to different latitudes where the temperature is correct, just like it has done for millions of years before man was on the scene.   I know they can measure isotopes in skeletons, and know what the level of CO2 was when that fossilized coral grew, and we think there is more now than millions of years ago, and that may be true, but it is one tiny piece of a very complex puzzle.  When our time is up the earth will shake us off just like millions of species before us too!

I still feel the catastrophic global warming movement is a political exploitation of peoples fears in order to redistribute wealth.  Look at the Paris climate treaty that everyone is all worked up about us pulling out of (and don't get me started about how we never legally entered it in the first place) the only detail that was completely worked out was how much the US would pay.  No enforceable goals for other large economies to trigger fines and such.  The flow of money is the only thing that ever gets worked out in the international community.  

So now that I have completely PO'd 45% of the people that read this I better stop ranting lol.

8 hours ago, cheap reefer said:

Perhaps something else is causing the "die off".....something the government is hiding from us.

This is a more likely scenario than temperature IMO!

dd6bcd98a86f9380efaad7efe29024fa.jpg it's the difference over the last 10-15 years that is the problem. The previous hundred years and prior were all similar. Relative to the time that coral has been around it's not very long at all. Coral has been in the oceans for thousands of years and in the last ten it has risen. Relative to the time your coral has spent in your tank I would imagine it would be similar to doing it over the course of a few hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the record I am a conservative but I do believe global warming is real. Whether all caused by human existence or not I don't know. The sun is also expanding and will eventually explode engulfing the earth anyway.

46 minutes ago, JWalk3r said:

For the record I am a conservative but I do believe global warming is real. Whether all caused by human existence or not I don't know. The sun is also expanding and will eventually explode engulfing the earth anyway.

Very true, it's kind of a moot point in that respect. Reguardless of how I may sound I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. As someone who has lost part of his family because they hate my politics I won't judge anyone. Time will tell for sure but 200 million years ago Ohio was as warm and lush as the tropics are now, and 10000 years ago the northern half was covered by 100's of feet of ice.  The one thing we can be sure of is that it will change!

7 hours ago, JWalk3r said:

Try changing your water temps from 80-85 and see what happens.

80 to 85 is not 2 degrees...try changing your temp from 78 to 80 and see what happens....i bet not much...why is everyone pushing this 2 degrees thing...if they told us that the ocean temp has raised 10 degrees then it would be believable...BUT NOT 2!!!

They kept talking that if a humans body temp raised 2 degree we would be "sick"...but what the fail to put in prospective is out surrounding temp changes hourly (especially in ohio) lol...but we dont get sick and die!!...our body regulates its temp...perhaps some contaminants in the ocean is causing coral not to regulate its internal temp....btw they also fail to admit that when the sun goes down at night (in the ocean) the temp DROPS 10 degrees!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been donating to MissionBlue for some time now...I recommend checking them out and/or following them on Instagram.

They promote "hot spots" in the ocean which are targeted future marine sanctuaries and marine reserves (national parks).  They were one of the ones who lobbied Obama big time for the area outside of Hawaii.

If you are looking for a place to put some money to good use in lobbying reef protection they are one way to go.

Edited by watdachuck