crimsonvice

Crimson's 120 wet dream

It's been a long time coming, and can't beat the $100 price tag for this beauty. 

IMG_1411.thumb.JPG.74814fdd2d7479a7f5e84aecdf421a93.JPG

Day one: Remove one overflow and old bulk heads from tank.

The previous owner had glued all the pvc fittings in, so I used a sawzaw to cut through to drop out the bulk heads. 

IMG_1409.thumb.JPG.4884a2fc7eef169fc71748d4df3f1993.JPG

IMG_1410.thumb.JPG.ad0d0a9de38360a5b71215b9feaaae14.JPG

I have never removed an overflow from a tank before. From reading online it sounded like I was going to be spending the afternoon with a crowbar and a Dremel hacking this thing to pieces. I started with my multipurpose painting tool...

IMG_1412.thumb.JPG.61a4bed032d72870c70c0ce1747e6fa2.JPG

...and 15 minutes later...

IMG_1413.thumb.JPG.5d212963bf1b536dcc39979d0dc6f60e.JPG

I started at the top and worked my way down the sides. The old silicone was easy to remove. With some pressure on the knife, I was able to scrape off the old silicone practically in one continuous stroke. I repeated the process on the bottom section. When I had scrapped and sides, I applied a little pressure to one of the top corners of the overflow and it gave way. I spent the next few minutes scrapping the remaining silicone off the glass to get it as clean as possible.

Next step, order bulk heads and 6x6" 1/4" glass to cover holes from the old overflow.

IMG_1414.JPG

You order way too much. Why wait? I continue to tell you I have a guy that owns a pet store. And keeps everything you order in stock 7 days a week. And why did you remove the overflow? Do you not have duals on your fuge? Both would provided better filtration. And better flow 

1 hour ago, Birdman said:

You order way too much. Why wait? I continue to tell you I have a guy that owns a pet store. And keeps everything you order in stock 7 days a week. And why did you remove the overflow? Do you not have duals on your fuge? Both would provided better filtration. And better flow 

Lol its convenience. I sit at home or work and it comes to me. Plus Amazon is only 1 or 2 day shipping. 

I like the look of a single sided overflow. I can have an unobstructed view from the right side. Many 120's only have one overflow. The drain is conservatively rated at 600 gph, and when I increase the drain size to 1.25" the gph increases. It is not 10x, but that is why we have powerheads. Filtration would essentially be the same, because it all goes to the same space. It would just be less surface skimming which I am fine with. 

1 hour ago, Muttley000 said:

So give us the whole plan, lighting and other equipment, stock list, etc

Lighting: Halide. I am not sure what system yet. Might go with another Hamilton fixture with a 36" Reefbrite tech strip.

Flow: Maxspect Gyre 250 

Filtration: Bashsea SS-36 Sump, Skimz 301 Skimmer, Bashsea media chamber, Bashsea Biopellet reactor.

Return pump: Reef Octopus Varios 6 

Dosing: GHL Doser 2 with Bionic Alk, Cal, Mag

Salt: Aquaforest Reef Salt 

Fish: Currently have - Tomini Tang, Melanarus wrasse, coral beauty, 2 damsels.

Wishlist: Achilies tang, Desjardins Safin, Hippo Tang, Yellow tang, pair of clowns,...

Coral: only the pretty stuff!

Also on the wishlist... Apex 2016 with auto top off kit.

6 hours ago, crimsonvice said:

Lol its convenience. I sit at home or work and it comes to me. Plus Amazon is only 1 or 2 day shipping. 

I like the look of a single sided overflow. I can have an unobstructed view from the right side. Many 120's only have one overflow. The drain is conservatively rated at 600 gph, and when I increase the drain size to 1.25" the gph increases. It is not 10x, but that is why we have powerheads. Filtration would essentially be the same, because it all goes to the same space. It would just be less surface skimming which I am fine with. 

Lighting: Halide. I am not sure what system yet. Might go with another Hamilton fixture with a 36" Reefbrite tech strip.

Flow: Maxspect Gyre 250 

Filtration: Bashsea SS-36 Sump, Skimz 301 Skimmer, Bashsea media chamber, Bashsea Biopellet reactor.

Return pump: Reef Octopus Varios 6 

Dosing: GHL Doser 2 with Bionic Alk, Cal, Mag

Salt: Aquaforest Reef Salt 

Fish: Currently have - Tomini Tang, Melanarus wrasse, coral beauty, 2 damsels.

Wishlist: Achilies tang, Desjardins Safin, Hippo Tang, Yellow tang, pair of clowns,...

Coral: only the pretty stuff!

Also on the wishlist... Apex 2016 with auto top off kit.

Have a read here.  http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BulkheadFloRateArt.htm To get 600 out of the 1" hole you have to run full siphon, which is fine but any fluctuations equal noise or flood, and there will be fluctuations.  I need redundancy for piece of mind more than silence, that is why I always drill a pair of 1.5 holes minimum with the exception of the 90 which I am doing the bean overflow on.  There are many ways to skin the cat, and thousands use what the manufacturer calls reef ready, but I'd drill that tank if it were mine!

Do you have to temporarily hold the livestock somewhere to make the change?  If I remember right you built your stand to accept this size tank so that should make the move easier.  Just buy the darn Apex already lol

4 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

Have a read here.  http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BulkheadFloRateArt.htm To get 600 out of the 1" hole you have to run full siphon, which is fine but any fluctuations equal noise or flood, and there will be fluctuations.  I need redundancy for piece of mind more than silence, that is why I always drill a pair of 1.5 holes minimum with the exception of the 90 which I am doing the bean overflow on.  There are many ways to skin the cat, and thousands use what the manufacturer calls reef ready, but I'd drill that tank if it were mine!

Do you have to temporarily hold the livestock somewhere to make the change?  If I remember right you built your stand to accept this size tank so that should make the move easier.  Just buy the darn Apex already lol

Thanks for the read @Muttley000. What if I added a 3/4" bulkhead with a shorter drain line then my 1" drain, and left it open full siphon. Something like this...

IMG_1410.thumb.JPG.ad0d0a9de38360a5b71215b9feaaae14.JPG.c7382ac5a292e994a1a87a2d02665b02.JPG

I may even be able to sneak in a 1" which would help. I would really like to avoid using an overflow box. I would like the plumbing to be internal, only for the reason of having it close to the wall. 

I like that as a possible solution because if it is draining it will probably be noisy, especially if it is making and breaking siphon, so you will know to check it out. What I don't know is if upon starting up the open channel will begin to drain and not let the intended siphon get started correctly. That may be worth mocking up to see how it works. 

You're basically talking a herbie setup.   Decent guide here: http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

IF you're adamant about only using the one overflow, I see two options.

1. Make the 3/4" the siphon and use the 1" as open standpipe. 

2. Make the 1" the siphon and use the 3/4" as the standpipe.

Option 2 will allow you to move more water, but if the siphon clogs, there's no way the 3/4" standpipe can handle the flow and the tank will flood.

Option 1 will allow less turnover,  but it should be failsafe as the 1" standpipe should handle the flow if the siphon we're to clog.

25 minutes ago, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

You're basically talking a herbie setup.   Decent guide here: http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

IF you're adamant about only using the one overflow, I see two options.

1. Make the 3/4" the siphon and use the 1" as open standpipe. 

2. Make the 1" the siphon and use the 3/4" as the standpipe.

Option 2 will allow you to move more water, but if the siphon clogs, there's no way the 3/4" standpipe can handle the flow and the tank will flood.

Option 1 will allow less turnover,  but it should be failsafe as the 1" standpipe should handle the flow if the siphon we're to clog.

Do you run this or a bean on your setup now?  My first non glass holes style isn't running yet. I have read on the bean that the standpipe will flow until the air is purged from the siphon. Does that happen on the herbie too?

54 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

No true experience yet is why I am wondering. My ATS tank is so low of flow that the siphon doesn't ever run

Not currently, but I have ran a herbie setup before, and yes, there is a purging period, but on my setup (2x1" drains), the standpipe could handle 100% of the flow.. this was a 45g cube running a mag5 return. 

I think it could work for crimson too, he'd just might have to adjust his return accordingly.. another option might be to add 1 additional emergency stand pipe on the other side  (If he can live with the aesthetics of it), at a fuzz over high tank level

5 minutes ago, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

Not currently, but I have ran a herbie setup before, and yes, there is a purging period, but on my setup (2x1" drains), the standpipe could handle 100% of the flow.. this was a 45g cube running a mag5 return. 

I think it could work for crimson too, he'd just might have to adjust his return accordingly.. another option might be to add 1 additional emergency stand pipe on the other side  (If he can live with the aesthetics of it), at a fuzz over high tank level

Thanks. You should stop by more often. I think I learn something every time you post!

Well... the wife just said no to having an overflow box. "That wasn't the deal." she says. So I guess I will be altering the stand some how. This might be the time to fix the issues have with the stand. Back to the drawing board.

What's in the way? The cross pieces on the top don't really do much to support the tank, only the rim does. If it helps, ditch the two inside, end cross pieces I do think you need to add some 2x4s between the top and bottom rims to carry the load directly to the floor. You're relying on your fasteners to support the entire load as it is. I wouldn't trust a few screws' shear strength over time with the ~1200lbs you're going to load them with. A couple vertical 2x4s at each corner will fix that issue.