Ph and alk

castlet67

I've recently purchased Hanna testers . I wasn't sure of the readings I was getting with my cheaper kits. I found that my PH was low at 7.8 and dkh at 14. I just completed a 10 percent water change. My ph was 7.9 and alk at 15. I dosed 1 Tbl spoon of sodium bicarbonate. 24 hrs later I found my ph to be 8.1. I continued to dose 1 Tbl spoon of bicarbonate for 2 days.a total of 3 Tbls. My ph is now 8.3, but the dkh is off the chart above 20. Not sure what to do next

I would do a 25% water change and check again.  The baking soda raised your alk, why were you adding the baking soda?  If it was the 7.8 you saw I would try a couple other things before dosing.  First ph is going to vary some during the day so try to check about the same time of day.  Second, I wouldn't be too concerned with the number as long as it is relatively stable.  If you decide you must try to raise it there are different ways.  Are you running AC and keeping the windows closed?  Opening them may raise the PH.  Are you skimming?  If so could you draw in air from outdoors for your skimmer?  Do you have a refugium?  If so lighting it while your display lights are off can help stabilize the ph.  

Thanks,preparing a water change now. Yes,I'm skimming, running a refugium,and check the ph when I first come in in the morning. Everyone is on 3rd shift, so I figured it would be best. Tried raising the ph because I was told to bring the ph up to 8.3. Without doing anything,the ph seams stable at 7.7 to 7.8. Magnesium is always high and calcium at the higher level. Adding soda ash in a small amount I figured would just be a boost to the ph by a point. I've proved myself wrong. I'm finding myself to be a little to ambitious about having perfect numbers. 

Kwasser,magnesiumOk,water parameters are within acceptable range now. I do have a question about 2 part dosing. My calcium is being used up,and everyone says to two part dose equally.  Alk and calcium. My 2 part kit has calcium carbonate ( got it) and sodium bicarbonate ,kalkwasser,and magnesium.the calcium I get,which is Alk? This is what confused me the 1st time. 

1 hour ago, castlet67 said:

Kwasser,magnesiumOk,water parameters are within acceptable range now. I do have a question about 2 part dosing. My calcium is being used up,and everyone says to two part dose equally.  Alk and calcium. My 2 part kit has calcium carbonate ( got it) and sodium bicarbonate ,kalkwasser,and magnesium.the calcium I get,which is Alk? This is what confused me the 1st time. 

The sodium bicarbinate is what you use to adjust  your alkalinity. I'm gonna play 20 questions:

What size tank?

How often are you doing water changes?

% changed?

what are you water parameters?

What do you want them to be?

Why are there no tank pictures in this thread??? ;)

Here is a link that discusses sodium bicarbinate and how you can bake it to make sodium carbonate that is a little less like talking to Mr. Science Nerdatition @Muttley000. It tells you how to bake it and links a calculator to help with dosing. Link

My advice start off with less than what is recommended, and work your way up slowly until you reach your desired parameters. You don't always dose in the same amount, but there are some products like Aquaforest Bailing system that do. I would just monitor my water parameters and adjust as needed to keep my numbers where my coral like and what I am happy with. 

Parameters of tank are salinity 1.024

Calcium 400

Magnesium 1300

Ph 8.2

Alkalinity 16 dkh high from dosing bufferonly.bringing it down with water changes 

Water changes 45 percent 1 week ago ,15 percent 2 days ago,and scheduling a 10 percent change every 2 to 3 days until alk is back in.

Total volume of water 80 gallons with sump. Running a refugium.  

Alk was above 20dkh when I made the mistake of dosing buffer due to ph bein7.4.  

Would like to see8.2 ph, 13.5 dkh, 1300 mag.

I ordered a kalkwaser which came with 4 components. Calcium has dropped from 435 to 400. Corals are taking over the rock. Wanted some advice on raising calcium if I continue to see a drop. I've been told to dose equal parts,but of what?  Sorry no pics yet. Coming soon

There are many 2 part solutions out there.  Bulk reef supply has a mix your own version, you can google Randy's DIY recipe using ice melt and baking soda, or you can buy something like Bionic or several other brand names.  You can also buy calcium additives, I like the seachem calcium but there are dozens of them out there.