crimsonvice

Everything Apex

My first question is in regards to the conductivity probe readings. How long does it take to get an accurate reading? I set mine up Saturday morning and it is only reading 1.5 ppt after about 2 days of use. Is this normal, or do I need to re-calibrate it? 

Mine was much closer than that when I put it in. I let it run in the system for a week before I calibrated. Make sure you float your calibration packets before you use them!  My ORP probe was the one that took a couple weeks to stabilize. 

Just now, Muttley000 said:

Mine was much closer than that when I put it in. I let it run in the system for a week before I calibrated. Make sure you float your calibration packets before you use them!  My ORP probe was the one that took a couple weeks to stabilize. 

Yeah. After doing some research I found this out. It does not mention this in the setup instructions. Unfortunately, I threw away the calibration fluid, so Im kinda SOL until I buy some more. Im going to email Neptune and suggest the edit in the manual/setup instructions. 

Yeah. I poked around on the Neptune forum prior to setting it up, but that is not something that I was specifically looking for. So if I don't know what Im looking for, how am I going to know that I need to do it, especially if it is not listed in the setup instructions??? LOL. Guess, they figure we are all guys anyway and wont be reading the instructions. :D

Reply from the Neptune rep...

"You only really need to float the solution in tank water if you are using Temp compensation when calibrating the Cond probe. 

If you are wanting to use temp compensation then you will need to float the solution and also place the temp probe into the same solution as the Cond probe during calibration. This is only necessary if you are seeing Cond measurement swings that ONLY coincide with Temp swings. 

Some customer have found leaving the probe in the tank for a week to get a bio film on the probe helps with the calibration, this has not been proven, just what other customers have found works best for them.

You can get calibration fluid from some LFS or from your favorite online retailer. In a pinch if your tank water reads 1.026 or 35ppt with a calibrated refractometer then you can use your tank water as the calibration solution"

In a previous email the rep did say that the conductivity probe has been known to take up to 4 weeks to reach a stable reading. So @Muttley000 was smart by letting his probe sit in the water for a week before actually connecting the probe. I have to have my notifications turned off for now, otherwise every 5 minutes I'm getting a LOW CONDUCTIVITY alarm. LOL. 

Where does everyone have their heaters placed in relation to where their temp probe is located? 

My temp probe is in my sump, but my heater is in my overflow as of now. I have noticed that the temp readings are way off. I calibrated the probe to the temp in my DT, and not the sump. Figured this would give a better reading of what my water in the DT actually is. I might move the heater into the tank, instead of the overflow, just to heat the water a little better. 

On 9/30/2017 at 10:32 PM, Muttley000 said:

Saw your post at Neptune forum. Are you sure that your float switch is set to stop flow if it gets too high?  I can't understand how the water is still flowing???

I don't know what is going on. I was supposed to go home last night, but we ended up staying another night in Oberlin. When I get home tonight I will have to look at it more closely. 

On 10/2/2017 at 9:48 AM, crimsonvice said:

I don't know what is going on. I was supposed to go home last night, but we ended up staying another night in Oberlin. When I get home tonight I will have to look at it more closely. 

Did you find out what was causing the issue yet?