STN, RTN, ployp bailout

castlet67

I have all but lost my birds nest. Ordered A WWC piece which started it. Started the frag with corel rx dip, acclimated and placed in tank. After an hour, my hermits and tangs ganged up on it, but left my other birds nest and acro alone. It couldnt be saved. The frag was stripped clean. I removed the others and added to my frag system. After 1 week, all the birds nests, ( 5 frags) were stripped. Like the flesh fall off. Any ideas? 

Salinity 1.025

Calcium 480

Mag 1290

Dkh 8.7

Ph 8.3

Alk is steady at 8.2. No changes in perameters or chemistry. I also test for trace elements. Temps are steady also. The acan is still doing ok and fed today. Still a mess though. No loss in color.  The only difference factor is lighting. Changed from led to t5. Blue plus,coral plus and actinic bulbs. I raised the lamp another foot incase it is to much. My fixtures a 4 bulb.

1 hour ago, castlet67 said:

The acans came from my main tank. I had a dosing issue which raised my alk to 14dkh and dlowly decreased it to 10 without any deaths. Im wondering if it was to much to aclimate the to more normal parameters.

Could be that or a combination of that and the lighting.  Acans are pretty tough, the best thing is probably some time going by.now and letting everything stabilize 

5 hours ago, castlet67 said:

The acans came from my main tank. I had a dosing issue which raised my alk to 14dkh and dlowly decreased it to 10 without any deaths. Im wondering if it was to much to aclimate the to more normal parameters.

This is what happened to a huge colony of birds nest for me once. My red sea test kit was faulty and I over dosed alk. It only got to 12dkh. But the nests were the first to go. And they went fast.

I have a red sea dkh test kit and the hanna. Both were within .5 of each other. I dont dose alk or calcium. Havnt had the demand. Mostly softies. I did get paranoid of my peperment shrimp,so i switched tanks with the birds nest. The oversite is,my main display uses usa current pro led,and my frag tanks use t5 high output.  Once they got a glimpse of the t5,they went fast. Raised the light another foot off the water and turned 2 bulbs off. Everything stopped bleaching and is now recovering. Par meter will be a huge help so i can fine tune any adjustments. A poor oversite on my behalf.