Blue spotted stingray

Clueless

I wish I had, they are very cool.  Massive tank 8' X 3' footprint minimum IMO is needed.  If they get scratched and get an infection, forget about saving them.  In general I would consider a full blown SPS reef easy and cheap compared to ray keeping!  If you give it a shot I would really enjoy reading about your journey, not much success out there with these guys.

Well have I got a suprise for y’all. I bought one:). I seen him at the store and have always wanted one. He looked sad in the smallllll tank. And he seems much happier in the 150. (Will be upgraded as he grows.) he is about 3-4 body as of now and eats 2 ghost shrimp a day. Looks heathy. No cuts. No curling of the fins. No loss of vision. My goal is to get him into a nice 400 gallon tank a little bit of coral. Nothing crazy. Possibly also get him a shark companion.. as this is my first ray does anyone know someone who can give me insight on them? I would hate to make him feel uncomfortable in anyway! And sand will come shortly i just have yet to decide on the right stuff for him! 

91E10ACB-525B-44A6-AC14-8C5EA699F22E.jpeg

First off I want to thank Muttley! Great book! Lots of great info! And second off blueray is doing great! He’s happily swimming top to bottom back and forth searching for food. And aggressively eats. (Apparently that’s a good thing when rays are more aggressive eaters) he eats about 3 ghost shrimp a day. Has a healthy slime coat that seems to pick up alot of the newer sand. So I decided to use one of the best fish cleaning tools (I believe) in the aquarium hobby! A cleaner shrimp! And I must say wow! Scared the crap out of me when I first put him in! The ray immediately surrounded him and attempted to gobble him down! However last minute in a haze of sandy dust he gave up and decided to instead perk himself up; fins in the air and back fins planted so the shrimp could clean in his gills and underbody! Absolutely amazing! However my next problem is going to be training him to enjoy silversides as much as ghost shrimp, seeing as 3 stores near me fail to keep a sufficient supply! 

00FA9106-BF5D-4E2C-A51E-C7693C2F64E6.jpeg

On 11/22/2017 at 12:49 AM, Clueless said:

First off I want to thank Muttley! Great book! Lots of great info! And second off blueray is doing great! He’s happily swimming top to bottom back and forth searching for food. And aggressively eats. (Apparently that’s a good thing when rays are more aggressive eaters) he eats about 3 ghost shrimp a day. Has a healthy slime coat that seems to pick up alot of the newer sand. So I decided to use one of the best fish cleaning tools (I believe) in the aquarium hobby! A cleaner shrimp! And I must say wow! Scared the crap out of me when I first put him in! The ray immediately surrounded him and attempted to gobble him down! However last minute in a haze of sandy dust he gave up and decided to instead perk himself up; fins in the air and back fins planted so the shrimp could clean in his gills and underbody! Absolutely amazing! However my next problem is going to be training him to enjoy silversides as much as ghost shrimp, seeing as 3 stores near me fail to keep a sufficient supply! 

00FA9106-BF5D-4E2C-A51E-C7693C2F64E6.jpeg

Thag is awesome!

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Clueless said:

Welll now I’m concerned. I hope they get along..... and yes muttley banded I hope he works out 

My snowflake would always eat the excess food that came out of the sharks gills. During one feeding the snowflake actually tried to get into the sharks gills. They both died as a result. 

11 hours ago, Clueless said:

Also joe would u recommend a blue ribbon  eel? I hear they are much like snowflakes? 

I know you asked Joe, but I couldn't resist!  Ribbon eels used to be considered impossible to keep, but more and more people seem to have success now.  Getting them feeding is the problem, and many never get off live food.  If you want to try one I would dedicate a 4' tank to it.  It will not mix with your ray, it has to have sand with rubble in it so it can make a burrow, and the ray is going to get scratched up by that rubble.  It also can't mix with the shark because it won't tolerate any aggressive tankmates.  Whenever I get more tanks added to my system this is on my wish list to try though!

13 hours ago, Clueless said:

Also joe would u recommend a blue ribbon  eel? I hear they are much like snowflakes? 

To add to what Muttley said, this actually would be a good thing. The snowflakes aggressive feeding habit is what lead to the disaster. If it was a more picky eater, their would not have been an issue. This was strictly an eating accident that happened to end badly for both of them.