Lighting

Joe

I think this all depends on what you are wanting Joe.  Are you planning full blown SPS?  I think all LED fixtures are getting a bad rap because the $150 Chinese boxes don't perform as well as halides.  There are LED fixtures that will perform well on full blown SPS reefs but they are super pricey. Cheapest way to all the wavelengths to make the coral's and your eyeballs happy will be halides or T5 IMO, but I still believe LEDs get closer every day.

49 minutes ago, Joe said:

T5’s only? No leds? 

Most t5 users add Leds for 2 reasons.  1: added intensity/penetration for deeper tanks, and 2: that hyper blue actinic look and shimmer

Since 1 sounds like it won't be an issue for you, it'd be a matter of your personal preference in 2, but it would be just aesthetic and of no real benefit to the coral.

Right now t5s with a reefbrite strip or two are all the rage

Edited by Dr.Fraggenstien

26 minutes ago, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

Most t5 users add Leds for 2 reasons.  1: added intensity/penetration for deeper tanks, and 2: that hyper blue actinic look and shimmer

Since 1 sounds like it won't be an issue for you, it'd be a matter of your personal preference in 2, but it would be just aesthetic and of no real benefit to the coral.

Right now t5s with a reefbrite strip or two are all the rage

I added my led box for the aesthetics but my acans really seemed to start growing when I added it. Blues on about 70% whites on around 50%